Calculating GPM

update

Is this a check valve? Just noticed it:
d6ef9a10-1.jpg

I don't think so. That looks like a pipe coupler. There are some check valves that look a little like that, but they normally bulge out more than that, plus your system was plumbed with higher quality valves than that style of check valve.

The black thing on the other side of the Y with a clear top is a check valve.

Yes, I believe that's a check valve.

It's made by Rainbow/Pentair part# 172288 and goes between the chlorinator and the heater to prevent the backflow of corrosive liquids and gases that can damage equipment containing metallic components (heater).

Since yours is painted you wont be able to confirm the part number, but you can identify it by finding a raised arrow indicating the direction of flow.

My PB installed one of those on my system after I brought it to their attention that the IC40 manual recommends a check valve between the chlorinator and the heater.

I noticed a 2 PSI rise at the filter immediately after the installation. There's a 2 lb. spring in there which I believe is very restricive compared to the newer type of check valves like the one you have on the left. I'm really not sure how they compare though.

It sounds like one of those axial type of check valves which would easily explain why the flow rate decreases so much with RPM.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
At this point, I wouldn't replace the check valve unless you can confirm that the check valve is causing problems.

One way that we might be able to determine the head loss of the check valve is to compare the filter pressures when in pool vs spa mode. The pipe on the opposite side of the check valve with it's own check valve is labeled Spa Return. Questions:

Does that redirect water through spa returns or jets?

How many spa jets/returns and what are the sizes?

How long are the runs to the spa and what is the pipe diameter?

How does the filter pressure change when going from pool to spa return mode at higher RPM?

Switch between pool and spa mode with the return valve only so that only the return side plumbing is changed (i.e. spillover mode).

mas985 said:
Does that redirect water through spa returns or jets?
A. Yes
How many spa jets/returns and what are the sizes?
A. Six jets. Not sure on size. The returns are 2.5 and the suction is 3.

How long are the runs to the spa and what is the pipe diameter?
A. Spa is about 70 - 80 Feet from the pump. Pipe is 2.5 inches

How does the filter pressure change when going from pool to spa return mode at higher RPM?
A. Need to check that

Switch between pool and spa mode with the return valve only so that only the return side plumbing is changed
(i.e. spillover mode).
A. Not sure what you mean here.

Thanks Mark

Spillover mode is where the suction side is set to draw from the pool and the return side to the spa. The spa then fills up and spills over into the pool.

What I am interested in is the change in filter pressure when only the return side plumbing is switched from pool mode to spillover mode. Assuming of course you have spillover mode which most pool/spa combinations do.

Never got to the bottom of this and after reading through this, I am still a bit frustrated. One more symptom is that the pump will not run continuously below 1500 RPM. It will run for a bit and then trigger the safety feature of the pump as if there were a blockage. I am almost 100% sure there is no blockage in the system. I flushed each line out with the drainking and flow and suction seem OK.

I think the next step will be to take those pressure measurements at the pump and report them. I will disassemble the filter and clean it for consistent results as well.

If you can get multiple pressure AND suction readings at multiple RPM, that would help. Also, spa vs splillover mode. I still think the issue could be a check valve or something else in the plumbing.

This is why I was currious to the change in filter pressure between spa vs pool mode on the return. If the pool mode filter pressure is much higher than the spa/spillover mode, then that would point to either the chlorinator or it's check valve as having an issue.

I will get the numbers this weekend. I am also going to remove the Ozoneator this weekend. I think it is a bit of voodoo myself, and just adds air and uses energy. Actually, I closed the valve on that thing long ago to stop it from putting air in the pump. Just need to disconnect and remove it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.