Calcium Test - Two Different Pools and Different Shades (TF-100)

zollan23

Oct 25, 2020
Southern California
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-30
Hello all

My friend and I just got new pools together and each have the TF-100 kit. My buddy is testing his CH level and he's getting readings of over 800. I came to his house today and did it with him.

What I noticed is when I initially add the R-0010 and R-0011L, while it does turn red, it's more faint and basically pink. Likewise, after adding the R-0012, while it does eventually turn blue (after 29-32 drops), it's a very faint blue (see attached). My blue is much darker and more pronounced.

My question is,does this matter? Is the 30 or so drops still accurate regardless of the saturation of the color or does he maybe not have as much Calcium as we think?

Lowering calcium is really a pain so just curious.

Thanks

I'm going to assume you both are using the speedstir to help with this test. If not, let us know. First, the sample will turn just a faint red almost lavender kind of color once you add the R-0011 to indicate the presence of calcium. That shade can vary. It's also possible you are seeing slight variations in the shading due to the R-0011 itself. R-0011L is calcium indicator, an organic dye used to provide the red/blue color. It should be a deep blue color out of the bottle. If the dye stains the plastic bottle it is stored in, it has gone bad.

The final result with the R-0012 should be a light baby (sky) blue. By any chance do either of you fill the pool from a water softener or anything else that might result in slight variations?

First off, thank you.

We are NOT using the speedstir. But I have conducted the test the exact same way. To me, the reagents were similar in viscosity I just found my friend's color to be much more faint and not as saturated in color.

Both tests had an obvious and noticeable change to both red, indicating the presence of calcium, and blue to stop the test. Was just curious if the shade or saturation of the color triggered any red flags. Seems like no.

At my pool, the red color is very rich and vibrant in pink. It's not lavender it's just a dark, pronounced pink. Likewise my blue is very pronounced. Not light sky blue. I've attached a picture so you can see the difference.

Thanks again

Did you try testing your pool water with your friends kit and your friends pool water with your kit?

Determine if the difference is caused by the test kit or the pool water?

Btw, no pictures have been attached showing the different colors.

Btw, no pictures have been attached showing the different colors.
I tried attaching pictures from Chrome on my android device. I tried inserting pictures from Chrome on my Android device. I tried the same two methods from my Mac via Chrome, Brave, Firefox and Safari and in all cases the pictures would not upload. Not sure what's happening, but based on @Texas Splash comments I'm going to assume my friend's test is correct. My water in my city is actually very soft while his is very hard so it does make sense, I was just surprised to see such a variation in the shades of colors from his kit/water to mine.

When we get time (since I left my sunglasses over there anyway), I will try my kit on his water which is an amazing suggestion and should have been obvious.

Thanks again for all of the help.

It has been reported the Forum is having problems with pictures being downloaded. The problem is being worked on. Try again in a few days.

Watch...

Reactions: zollan23

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.