Calcium target

Jan 8, 2018
cypress texas
I just noticed the CH recommended levels here on TFP changed recently. With the delta between low/high of 450, I'm not too sure what my target should be. Should I pick any number between 250-650? Like the mid range ok? My test results as of 5 minutes ago:

FC 4
pH 8.0+
TA 120
CH 230
CYA 40

My TA is a little high is bc I added alkalinity up since I was always chasing my pH.
Also is it true that I could only add 16lbs of Calcium hardness at a time and should I pre dissolve it prior?

Just leave your CH where it is. There's no need to add anything.

The range of CH values recommended is designed to give pool owners the widest possible variation so that they don't have to go chasing CH up or down. There is no such thing as an "optimal" CH value - as long as it's not too low to cause etching or too high to cause scaling, then it's fine and should not be chased around. People tend to focus way too much time and attention on CH when it is probably the least important chemical level in a pool. Chlorine and pH are far more important to get right...CH just comes along for the ride.

Reactions: Jameshtx
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.