Calcium? Solutions?

sh9730

Apr 17, 2016
Casa Grande, AZ
Hi,

So, pool completed in December in Arizona. Winter monitoring went pretty smoothly - low chemical usage and things stayed within target ranges - once a week brushing etc. Once in a while PH seemed to get a tiny bit high - but never over 8.

This week I started noticing (although in all honesty it could have been there until I started looking at it....) what appears to be calcium deposits on the tiles - most above the water line. Mostly it is like the picture - one or two tiles seem to have little "nodules" on them of deposit.

Numbers all seem good - CH is 350 exactly. I have never calculated a CSI index and don't see where in the school to learn how. Alkalinity is right at 110.

We did have a pretty dramatic temperature change this week - into the triple digits - but that is the only thing that has changed.

Suggestions? Both for prevention in the future and cleaning now?

pool tiles.jpg

Get used to it. That is evaporite scale. Your fill water is high in CH and TA. No way to prevent it.

Minimize it by keeping your CSI under 0. Do not go below -0.3.

What test kit are you using? How are you chlorinating your pool water?

TF-100 and liquid chlorine. I am not a total newbie but this is my first plaster pool....had large above ground in past (as you can see from old posts). Obviously just starting to increase chlorine levels pretty significantly as we enter 100+ and sun season.

Where do I find out how to calculate CSI? I only see CH levels - which again seem to be right on the money. I found a couple of posts on this but it looks more complicated than I have done in the past - is it learnable?

Any suggestions on cleaning it? Pummice stone seems to be most suggested - but it there any chemical shortcuts?

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.