DFW, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
I have a stone block wall with stone scuppers. When running the scuppers a lot I get scale on the stones that shows up a day or two after I stop scuppers. I keep my ph around 7.4-7.8.
ph=7.4-7.8
Calcium= 600 (tap water is probably 400, really high here in north Texas)
TA = 90-100 (I haven't been tracking this regularly
CA= 50
One note is that when the scuppers are running the pool of water inside the scupper seeps through the mortar and into the adjacent stone.
I don't know if water seeping through the stone wall from the scupper is pulling calcium to the surface of the stone, or is the splashing on the stone is causing the calcium to leach out of the water onto the stone.
Is it inevitable with my high Calcium?
What is the best way to remove the scale on the stone and it also runs down onto the waterline tile?

ajw22, thanks for the tip. I think you might be correct in Efflorescence. I think it is happening because the water seeps into the surrounding stone because of the constant pool of water in the scupper basin. This seeps into the stone and actually water seeps out the backside of the stone wall and comes out where the mortar/stone meet the concrete deck. So water is coming through the stone on the front and back side, except that it is the pool water and not moisture in the ground seeping through the gunite and into the stone.
This makes sense now and is why I only see it a day or 2 after I've been running the scuppers.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.