Calcium line on glass tile

bnsfengineer

May 11, 2021
So Ca
I had my pool redone in 2020 with pebble and glass tile and wondering if I made a huge mistake. I stay on top of my chemicals probably 80% of the time and over the 4 year period I have developed the impossible removal of the calcium on the waterline. Ive tried just about everything other than bead blasting as I would rather not go that way yet as it's only been 4 years and I never had this issue with my old porcelain tile. Is glass tile more prone to picking up the calcium and sticking to it like glue? I used scaletec and also diluted acid and not much luck in the way of removing? Is bead blasting the only way to really get stubborn line off the tile? Not only is the cost (quoted 1k) to bead blast but I had done it before with my old tile and some of the grout was blasted out as well and don't want to deal with another issue... Suggestions?

I had my pool redone in 2020 with pebble and glass tile and wondering if I made a huge mistake. I stay on top of my chemicals probably 80% of the time and over the 4 year period I have developed the impossible removal of the calcium on the waterline. Ive tried just about everything other than bead blasting as I would rather not go that way yet as it's only been 4 years and I never had this issue with my old porcelain tile. Is glass tile more prone to picking up the calcium and sticking to it like glue? I used scaletec and also diluted acid and not much luck in the way of removing? Is bead blasting the only way to really get stubborn line off the tile? Not only is the cost (quoted 1k) to bead blast but I had done it before with my old tile and some of the grout was blasted out as well and don't want to deal with another issue... Suggestions?
Scaling is independant of glass or porcelain. Sounds like your calcium hardness is too high.

I had my tile blasted recently to remove waterline scale. Having maintained my pool following TFP methodology for the last 6 years, it's my opinion that waterline scale can occur at TFP recommended CH and CSI levels. It's more the result of the continuous cycle of evaporation in the same area and lack of weekly maintenance. I have not been motivated enough to scrub my waterline on consistent basis, which would likely mitigate some of the build up over time.

I had about 110 linear feet done at a cost of $550 ($5 per linear foot). They used crushed glass, so no risk of adding sulfates or otherwise effecting pool chemistry. Not sure what area you're in, but you can check to see if they service your area. PM me and I can provide contact info.