Calcium levels

Jun 26, 2013
Irmo, SC
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hi! So we used to have a vinyl pool and we moved to a house with a plaster pool. I didn't ever worry about calcium levels on the other pool because of the vinyl, so I wasn't in the habit of testing those. The calcium in our new pool was super high when we first moved here. I haven't checked it since the summer. I just checked it, and it's 190 and I read should be 250-350. Our plaster has some orange-ish areas where the finish is rougher, and it seems that there are more of those than there were over the summer. I'm feeling guilty that the low calcium level has caused this. Is this the case? Is this the etching I've read about?

Also, when I test for calcium, the water in the test tube is super light colored. The directions say it should be red, but it's a super light pink and difficult to tell exactly when it turns blue. Is this how it's supposed to be?

Thanks!!

Post a complete set of tests and calculate your CSI using PoolMath.

How long have you been in the house? Any damage due to low CH takes a long time to occur.

Oh, good. We've only been in the house since last spring. My results are:
FC 6
PH 7.8
TA 60
CH 210
CYA 65

Calculate your CSI using PoolMath. You need water temperature.

Always round up CYA. Your CYA is 70. CYA scale is logarithmic, not linear. You can’t eyeball between markings.

If you don’t have a SWG your FC target should be 8-10 with CYA 70. See chlorine-cya-chart

I suggest you review ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

Also, when I test for calcium, the water in the test tube is super light colored. The directions say it should be red, but it's a super light pink and difficult to tell exactly when it turns blue. Is this how it's supposed to be?
For the CH test, after I add the 3 drops of R-0011, it's a faint red/purple-ish color for me. Not bright like the FC test. So I add the R-0012 drops until it transitions to a light purple color, then I know I'm getting close. Keep going! One drop of R-0012 at a time until the sample turns a light baby-blue color. It won't be a dark/bright blue, but more of a light sky (baby) blue, so watch closely.

The directions say it should be red, but it's a super light pink and difficult to tell exactly when it turns blue. Is this how it's supposed to be?

The test is complete when you add a drop and NO FURTHER color change takes place. In other words, keep going until that last drop has no effect on the color. Then subtract the last drop and you are finished.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.