Calcium Hardness Problems

Where are those tests from?

How much calcium have you added? In what form?

There’s no way your test is accurate. That’s over 350 lbs of calcium chloride in a 20k gallon pool.

According to pool math calculator, adding that much calcium chloride to a 20k gallon pool should raise your calcium hardness by 1909!!

I test with the colorQ pro-7

Since May 23rd I have added 5,654 oz. of calcium chloride

Something doesn’t compute. Adding 5,564 oz of calcium chloride in 20,000 gallons will raise your CH by 1909 ppm.

You have added 353 lbs of calcium chloride?

What product?

Where are those tests from?

How much calcium have you added? In what form?
Something doesn’t compute. Adding 5,564 oz of calcium chloride in 20,000 gallons will raise your CH by 1909 ppm.

You have added 353 lbs of calcium chloride?

What product?

I have mostly used Puri Tech Pool Chemicals Calcium Hardness Increaser Plus but also some of the clorox brand from Walmart.

I have mostly used Puri Tech Pool Chemicals Calcium Hardness Increaser Plus but also some of the clorox brand from Walmart.
The question is really whether it was 5,654 ounces (350 pounds) of stuff or if there's a typo.

It pretty much goes without saying that your tester is wrong. You can't add significant amounts of anything and just not have it show up at all.

A "poster child" thread for the TF-100 test kit if ever there was one. I don't know anything about the colorQ other than it's not one of the two TFP-recommended tests kits. Taylor: K-2006 being the other one.

You can buy just the Taylor CH test kit if you're not convinced you should switch over.

Coincidentally, the next thread I read was this one. You might take a look see, especially post #9, from one of our most respected experts (but please don't tell him I said so! ;) ).

The ColorQ has a known problem with calcium tests, but *if* we can believe those other tests you're woefully short on chlorine in the pool also. I'd hate to have you develop algae while struggling with that calcium problem too.
See this--> FC/CYA Levels <-- excellent resource to help you keep the FC balanced against the CYA

Maddie

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.