Calcium Hardness of Tap Water

Short answer: yes. 0.0000000045 CH per gallon added to what's in there
Are you just adding, or are you trying to figure out how much to replace to lower CH? That uses a different formula. We'd need to know what the CH reading in the pool is now and what you're targeting.

Recently I discovered my Calcium Hardness was extremely high (3000) and I was going to do a water exchange but we have decided to do a RO instead. I was just trying to figure out how long it will be before I have to deal with this issue again. The previous owner was using Cal Hypo which caused this problem in the first place. I will be using liquid Chlorine with an occasional Trichlor to raise CYA when needed. So trying to avoid this ever happening again.

In the summer my CH climbs about 25/week due to evaporation. Since wind seems to have more effect on evaporation that temperature, I suspect you might have it a little worse. It's not too hard to keep the CSI in range up to about 800 CH, so after R/O, you should be good for quite a while.

I have a hose spigot on my pool plumbing. Sometimes I bleed off a couple inches to water the lawn, and the water that would have gone to the lawn goes to the pool. I also sent a couple thousand gallons down through my kitchen sink cleanout after clearing a clog. I figure that must have rinsed things clean.

Here in Mentone we have a septic system so when I was planning a water exchange I was persuaded just to an RO out of ease and less frustration and to just be done with it. We do have to add quite a bit of water due to evaporation in the summer. So was concerned how fast the CH would creep up.

If you can figure out your pools average depth it's pretty easy math.

My pool averages 60". I usually add when the water is 2" below a certain tile, and fill it higher. So figure 3" each time I add. That's conveniently 5% --- .05. Let's say my pool is at 600 CH and my fill water is 90.

600+ (90*.05) =604.5. Probably won't show up on a test.

If replacing, then (.95*600) +(90*.05) = 859.5. That WILL show up on a CH test!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.