Calcium Hardness Issues after Pebble Fina Reno

SoCal_Refugee

Bronze Supporter
Dec 2, 2013
Tucson, AZ
Pebble Fina reno on a 20 yr old pool was completed in May 2020. The PB left us with Calcium Hardness of 1000 ppm. When we asked for help, PB told us that the problem was the fill water. The pool was initially refilled after reno with street water at 250 ppm and our autofill delivers soft water, CH < 50 ppm.

After 4 months, we pointed out waterline calcium scale, the PB said the problem was pH, which we tested at 7.4 to 7.6. He advised us to add borates to 50 ppm and keep pH at 7.2. We did so, but CH still was over 900 ppm and scale was increasing. The scale fizzes under muriatic, so I assume it's calcium?

Pool Math suggested a 60% drain and refill to fix the problem, but PB said we couldn't drain Pebble Tech for one year after reno or it might crack and void warranty. After 9 months, we began a series of partial drains to the bottom of the tile, keeping the Pebble submerged. We were eventually able to reduce CH to 400, but now it's rising again, by 50 ppm in the space of 10 day. This is with soft autofill water.

I no longer trust the PB's advice and don't know what to do. Should I hold off another month and drain? I'm mostly concerned that there is some reno problem that the PB isn't disclosing. We would really appreciate any suggestions from TFP members.

Current stats using Taylor 2006 are:
FC 2.5
CC 0
pH 7.4
CYA 30
TA 50 (I'm adding sodium bicarb every other week, it increases to 70 but then degrades to 50 or less)
CH 450

Well, I cannot resolve why your CH jumps up and your TA drops if all you are adding is liquid chlorine.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.