Calcium hardness issue

JameyG

Bronze Supporter
Feb 9, 2018
Orlando, FL
Hey there,

Been a while since I posted (which is a good thing, thanks to this forum!) I am on year two of my pool and managing the chemistry pretty well. My only issue is CH. THe first year it was pretty consistent around 475-550, as the initial fill was pretty hard well water. Eventually I just stopped testing CH, because what am I going to do about it? There isn't some chemical remedy I can use to lower it other than drain my pool and fill it with some water that was brought in, and the level didn't warrant that, so I just stopped testing for CH as part of my routine. I have only had to add water two or three times over the last year luckily due to timely rains. The times I did add it, I added it from my softened water, and not directly from the well. I only had to run the hose for about 30-45 minutes when I was adding.

So, that brings me to today. I decided to test CH since I hadn't in a while and it showed 675. I'm stumped on what could cause this rise since the vast majority of refills from evaporation over the last year have been freshwater rains. I would think over time of rain fills, the level should drop, not rise. Any ideas what could cause this?

FC = 6.0
TA = 65
PH = 7.4 - 7.8 (depending on time of week between acid additions)
Salt = 4000
CYA = 60
Borates = 40
CH = 675

Thanks for any ideas/suggestions!

As you test higher levels of CH, testing methods make a big difference. Using a Speedstir or not, droplet size, following the Fading Endpoint method, etc. I suppose you have never used Cal Hypo since you have a SWCG.

As you test higher levels of CH, testing methods make a big difference. Using a Speedstir or not, droplet size, following the Fading Endpoint method, etc. I suppose you have never used Cal Hypo since you have a SWCG.
i'll buy a speed stir and give that a try, thanks! No, I have never used Cal Hypo. I have never even had to add a bag of shock since it was built. Just following the instructions on this forum, it really has been a trouble free experience.

Reactions: mknauss
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.