Calcium hardness granules turned to solid block soaking in bucket

AndyTN

Bronze Supporter
Mar 27, 2019
Memphis
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
I must have done something wrong because the calcium granules turned into a solid block at the bottom of the bucket. I put warm water in the bucket, mixed it around, dumped in what dissolved immediately, and then left the rest sitting overnight with 4 inches of water sitting on top. Now the remaining granules have formed a solid block at the bottom which I cant even break up with a wood spoon. What did I do wrong? I have a vinyl liner so I may just throw out the rest but it still seems strange.

Welcome to TFP!
I must have done something wrong because the calcium granules turned into a solid block at the bottom of the bucket. I put warm water in the bucket, mixed it around, dumped in what dissolved immediately, and then left the rest sitting overnight with 4 inches of water sitting on top. Now the remaining granules have formed a solid block at the bottom which I cant even break up with a wood spoon. What did I do wrong? I have a vinyl liner so I may just throw out the rest but it still seems strange.
You don't need calcium with vinyl :)
Liquid Chlorine or Plain Household Bleach would be much more cost effective and not create cloudiness

Do you have a full test kit?

Welcome to TFP!

You don't need calcium with vinyl :)
Liquid Chlorine or Plain Household Bleach would be much more cost effective and not create cloudiness

Do you have a full test kit?
I know I have read for years than low CH isn't a concern for vinyl but I have also read that it cannot hurt to have a reading of 50-100 and can make the water feel a little better. With CH being so cheap, I figured I would add a little. My question though is about the CH granules forming together to create this solid block in the bucket. I use liquid bleach and the pool water is balanced but I just used tap water to mix with the CH in the bucket so pool water isn't relevant yet. I could easily just throw away the remaining CH since I have vinyl but I'm curious if this is normal for the granules to fuse together.

It is not normal. Typically when you add calcium chloride to water you get a fairly violent exothermic reaction.

Are you sure what you used is calcium chloride?

It is not normal. Typically when you add calcium chloride to water you get a fairly violent exothermic reaction.

Are you sure what you used is calcium chloride?
Yes, ingredients say 100% calcium chloride. Maybe I didn't stir it up enough when initially mixed with water or maybe I made a mistake of using warm water to mix? I will just throw it away since it could be a bad batch and I will likely not be able to get it to dissolve anyway now that it is the texture of a brick.

Here is a picture of the block of calcium once I got it out of the bucket. I was able to slam it on the pool deck to smash it up into baseball sized chunks which I then put one at a time into the skimmer. Each of the chunks dissolved in about 20-30 minutes.

Attachments

• calcium block.jpg
    calcium block.jpg
    420.3 KB · Views: 4
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.