Calcium Hardness and LC Corrosion

Aug 14, 2018
Delaware
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I read on here that CH is basically a not to worry over number with ABG Vinyl pools. I currently sit at 150. I'm not touching. I also use LC, because I'm following what to do from TFP. I was talking to someone who said they returned the calcium to the store. When they did they were told their levels were low (50) and it will start being corrosive to the pump and other equipment. From my reading here that isn't true. Are you able to elaborate on why a 50 is still perfectly fine in that pool. Lets say there even was a heater involved.

Secondly the"store" said that LC is too corrosive to vinyl liners. Once again the readings here indicated the opposite. Beside the medium blue liners and the pigments, could chlorine actually cause this fading under recommended levels of all chemicals. Also what other levels could cause the fading to occur? I might have more questions as this thread goes on but I still start there. I thoroughly enjoy learning from you guys. I hate reading, but I will read here more than I do about my own job lol

That still helps put it in perspective from a real life scenario though. This person is at 50 and is being told by everyone and the pool store that horribly bad, when all the research on this site says the complete opposite. I have seen some of things Chem Geek posts, so I rather trust the people here before anyone else.

Calcium is simply NOT corrosive. They have that mixed up.

Chlorine can be very harsh in a pool if it is not buffered by CYA. Keeping CYA at suggested levels makes it perfectly safe to use chlorine within the suggested guidelines.

Many, many (probably a majority) folks in the pool industry do not understand the FC/CYA relationship but TFP does.

Reactions: P00L_newb
Would I be correct in saying that low CH would not be a cause of corrosion but more possibly a low TA causing pH to drop, or just simply low pH in general? Low calcium also would not leech from pipes in heaters etc?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.