Brevard County, FL. (beachside)
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Turbo Cell (T-CELL-5)
Hi. We've had a lot of sudden rain the last few days, after a summer of almost no rain (which is unheard of here in FL in the summer) and while all my other chemicals are balance (thanks TFP and the TFP test kit!)- my calcium hardness went from 350 to 300 over a week. I don't know if it's because the pool is super full of water or what. Pool Math says ideal range is 350-550 and to add 4lbs 10oz Calcium Chloride.
Is that a pretty straight forward chemical I can get from the pool store, or is it cheaper elsewhere?
And is that exactly what I'm looking for? I don't want to get sold something I don't need and since I've never bought it, I want to make sure what I'm asking for. Thanks!

There is no reason to add calcium chloride with a CH of 300 ppm. You did not post a full set of test results nor share your Poolmath logs, but as long as the TA is in range and the pH is in the mid to upper 7's, all is good.

You can get calcium chloride at pool stores, Amazon, many big box stores. De-Icer can also work, but that is unlikely to be available in Florida.

Hi Mark, here's today's log but yes, TA is 80 and the pH runs a little hight each week so we add whatever PoolMath tells me ref. muriatic acid.

Attachments

• 85E0B9CB-99DC-440C-BE21-94D64C078054.png
    85E0B9CB-99DC-440C-BE21-94D64C078054.png
    498.6 KB · Views: 15
I'm sure the app says the CH is out of range because my "Target CH" is listed at 350, based on Pool School, Recommended Levels for my pool, which has my Calcium Ideal range at 350-550, acceptable minimum 250-350 and max 550-650

I'm sure the app says the CH is out of range because my "Target CH" is listed at 350, based on Pool School, Recommended Levels for my pool, which has my Calcium Ideal range at 350-550, acceptable minimum 250-350 and max 550-650
Can you turn on CSI tracking in the options? I think you have to put in a water temp too, or turn water temp tracking on before you can turn on CSI. What's your CSI at your current levels? That's more important than a specific CH number.

Can you turn on CSI tracking in the options? I think you have to put in a water temp too, or turn water temp tracking on before you can turn on CSI. What's your CSI at your current levels? That's more important than a specific CH number.
I just turned on CSI, it says .68 ‘as of one month ago’ (since it’s been off?) Pool temp today at testing was 88*

Your CH is in range. Do not focus on ideal!
So just focus on a/the range
Here, I just re-entered everything for today to get an appropriate CSI

Attachments

• 2E7B30E3-1EE9-4063-8E99-7F75EF8DD05F.jpeg
    2E7B30E3-1EE9-4063-8E99-7F75EF8DD05F.jpeg
    235.2 KB · Views: 18
You'll want to bring your pH down which will lower the CSI, but so long as the CSI is close to 0 (positive or negative) you should be fine. :)

You'll want to bring your pH down which will lower the CSI, but so long as the CSI is close to 0 (positive or negative) you should be fine. :)
Ok, thanks! We're working on the pH (added the muratic acid pool math recommended for now)

Reactions: IceShadow

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.