Calcium Flakes?

BarMark

May 14, 2021
Henderson NV
Hit my 1 year anniversary of pool ownership. I have lots of white flakes floating around in the pool. Calcium flakes?

Here are my numbers:
FC 2.0
CC 0.2
pH 8.0
TA 120
CH 600
CYA 54
Water temp today 83 F

I add muriatic acid to lower pH to 7.4 - 7.5 range.

Any suggestions on how to eliminate those white flakes?

Thanks.

Welcome to the forum.
What is creating the white flakes? Do you have a SaltWater Chlorine Generator?

Great. Please fill out your signature so we know what equipment you have.
How are you testing your pool water chemistry?
With our high TA/high CH fill water, you need to track and manage CSI - CSI and LSI - Further Reading
PoolMath calculates CSI for you.
Keep the CSI between 0 and -0.3 and your cell will create less scale.

I installed a water softener for our pool fill water. Do you have a whole house water softener? Keeping the CH under control makes it easier to manage CSI. You can likely get one more season out of your current water by managing your TA much lower (60-70ppm) and keeping the pH in the lower 7's. Next winter it will be time to drain and refill the pool to start with a lower CH level again.

OK -- so you will be managing your CSI and then drain and refill when the CH gets much above 800 ppm.

With evaporation, the CH will rise. You will evaporate about 1-1/2 pool volumes a year (unless you use a cover over the pool for most of the year). So your CH will rise about 300-350 ppm a year.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.