Calcium Deposits?

GMusic

May 29, 2018
Dallas, TX
I have several white lines running down my pool plaster which I think might be calcium deposits. I have attached a picture of one of the lines which starts at the bottom of my pool light and goes down several inches.

There is no white substance on the tile line.

Interestingly, my CH is a little low (180-200). I was getting ready to add some calcium chloride, but thought I should get a handle on these white lines first.

Can someone please help me confirm that these lines are, in fact, calcium and help me figure out what I should do about them? Thank you!

Attachments

• Pool Calcium?.jpg
    Pool Calcium?.jpg
    257.1 KB · Views: 45
Calcium is not so well organized to form such a straight line.

When you run your hand over the line is it raised? Have you tried scraping it?

Post pics of some other problem areas.

I am pretty sure they are raised. And there is one little spot on one line that looks significantly raised and clustered. I have not tried scraping it.

There is a storm coming in so I will have reach in to feel it and to take some more pictures tomorrow. But here is one more picture.

Attachments

• Calcium 2?.jpg
    Calcium 2?.jpg
    242.3 KB · Views: 13
Post a complete set of test results. I'd like to see what your CSI is. And post what the pH, TA and CH of your fill water is.

Your CH should be at least 250 - 350 for a plaster pool with a SWG depending on what your fill water CH is. Whatever is causing the white streaks it is not the level of CH in your water. You should raise your CH to at least 250.

What is the history of your plaster? How new is your pool/plaster?

CH should not be going down unless you are draining water or losing it to an overflow.

It seems like that is efflorescence which is minerals being pushed through a crack by hydraulic pressure behind that pool wall. I don't think I've seen it happen under water before but that is sure what it looks like. Is the area behind that wall wet?

If it is efflorescence then that means there is a crack in the plaster. To repair it rake it out a bit with a screwdriver and patch it with 2 part underwater curing epoxy or pool putty. Push as much epoxy into the crack as you can.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
It seems like that is efflorescence which is minerals being pushed through a crack by hydraulic pressure behind that pool wall. I don't think I've seen it happen under water before but that is sure what it looks like. Is the area behind that wall wet?

If it is efflorescence then that means there is a crack in the plaster. To repair it rake it out a bit with a screwdriver and patch it with 2 part underwater curing epoxy or pool putty. Push as much epoxy into the crack as you can.

That does not sound good at all. And I am getting those in several places which would mean the pressure would need to exist on at least three sides of the pool.

I do not know of any reason why the areas behind those walls would be wet.

How would I confirm something like that?

Last edited:
The most common causes for ground moisture is being toward the bottom of a hill or if there are sprinklers running too much in an area. That plus we've had ridiculous amounts of rain for the last 6 months or so. It isn't really that big a deal. If you can find and cure a potential moisture problem that will help more. Patching the crack in the plaster will likely solve the problem, at least for a while. I've got efflorescence in a couple of places in the tile grout.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.