Calcium chunks falling on burner causing roll out.

Jun 5, 2018
valpo, in
Dear TFP crowd
I had a rollout yesterday and noticed that there were pieces of what looks to be calcium or some other whitish material laying on top of my burners and on the bottom of the heater. Does this mean that the outside of the heat exchanger tubes are caked with this stuff? Any ideas? The service pros tell me they cant make it until next week after memorial day. No good.

Sounds like it might be coming from the ceramic fiber pads of the combustion chamber. You’ll have to open up the unit to see if there’s any damage there.

You won't have calcium on the outside of the burner tubes. The calcium buildup happens on the water side of the tube when the water boils in the tube due to low water flow. The problem you have sounds like the refractory material on the sides of the burner chamber is failing and dropping down

Definitely refractory from the side panels. My last heater had more of a solid refractory material. It was like stone for 15 years . Should i worry about this? Did this flake away because of rain?

I just hosed down and the heat ex and it looks great. I want to start it up again but i wonder if this weakening of the panels puts everything at risk?

Attachments

• 20190524_164717.jpg
    20190524_164717.jpg
    236 KB · Views: 3
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.