Calcium chloride depletes my chlorine. Why??

Alissakay

Jun 13, 2022
Columbia, Mississippi
I have a gunite pool around 45,000 gallons. My CH was sitting around 225-240 for a week or so. I added around 40 lbs of calcium chloride. Chlorine was at a 6 (CYA 50). This was tested & added when the sun was setting. The next morning chlorine was completely gone. This has also happened once before but I figured maybe it was a fluke or something but since it happened again & I have more calcium chloride to add, I figured I’d try to see if there was a way I could keep this from happening. This was about a week ago & fc has been great since.

There is no chemistry reason, but it has been seen before. When adding calcium chloride, check the FC after.

I have the same problem currently after adding 20lb calcium chloride to a 25k gal pool with a SWG yesterday. How long was low FC a problem? Did it gradually improve? Did you need to clean your SWG plates?

Welcome to the forum.
This is not unique to pools with SWCG.

We cannot explain it chemistry wise. Also does not always happen.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.