calcium carbonate scale flakes in pool vacuum

Topfox

Jul 2, 2018
VA
Hey everyone.

For the last few weeks, maybe a month I have been finding a good amount of what I believe is calcium carbonate scale flakes in the pool vacuum bag. I took some of the flakes out and pour MA on them and they foamed and fizzed. Ive noticed the higher I turn up my SWG the more is in the vacuum bag, but either way it is a good amount in the bag. Maybe about 1/6 of the bag gets full with the flakes. My water has been super clear all season. Fought TA for a majority of the beginning of the season, but around 120 or so seems to be the best I have been able to get that too. Im probably having to put in a gallon of MA every 2 weeks to bring the PH down. There is a little build up on my SWG, but doesn't look horrible. Im going to acid wash it this weekend. Ive been poking around different websites and articles, but haven't really seen anything that tells me how to handle this. More or less most of them explain what it is or how to determine it is calcium carbonate scale. These are my current numbers, and they have been decently consistent for the last month or so.

FC - 7.2
PH - 7.5
TA - 130
CH - 430
CYA - 60
SALT - 3280

Here is a photo I grabbed of the vacuum a month ago.

Attachments

• 8548FF83-A208-4647-93CC-BDAB66AF0ED7.jpeg
    8548FF83-A208-4647-93CC-BDAB66AF0ED7.jpeg
    103.9 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
Currently your CSI is positive 0.11. Running a slightly negative CSI is helpful in areas that have calcium issues. Tweaking your TA to 80 would give you a CSI of -0.15. Play around with it on PoolMath. This might help your problem.

Maddie

Thanks Maddie. Yeah I’ve been fighting TA all season. Guess my super worry is this problem occurring when the pool is closed for winter. The vacuum seems to be keeping up with it pretty good for now.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.