Calcium buildup or mottling?

DavidDane

Apr 13, 2020
Dade City, FL
Hello all,
I just had my pool resurfaced about a year ago and a half ago. I've been pretty busy over the past year and haven't looked at it closely lately. I noticed these lighter colored streaks in a couple of places that I didn't notice before. I'm not experienced enough to tell if this is some kind of buildup or if it's the new plaster having an issue? I will attach some phots and would really appreciate any helpful information, thanks!

Attachments

• 20200413_120329.jpg
    20200413_120329.jpg
    338.5 KB · Views: 81
  • 20200413_120507.jpg
    20200413_120507.jpg
    393 KB · Views: 83
  • 20200413_120513.jpg
    20200413_120513.jpg
    417.3 KB · Views: 79
Welcome to TFP.

That looks like typical mottling caused by overly aggressive troweling, not that the plasterers would admit it.

Want to share what your water chemistry is? What test kit do you use?

FC
CC
pH
TA
CH
CYA

Knowing more details of your pool would help us help you. Please create your signature with details of your pool and equipment.

Also, where is cooler12? Please put in a proper location. Your pool environment affects the recommendation we give.

Thanks for the response! I'm new to the forums and just now got my signature set up :) I am in Florida. I just had a test done at the local pool store today, I'll go ahead and post it. Is this normal for a new plaster? Is there anything I can/should do?

FC: 1.95
CC: 2.02
pH: 8.3
TA: 149
H: 172
CYA: 18
Salt: 2400

Yes, you should get your own test kit and do your own testing. Unfortunately we find pool store testing is too often inaccurate and unreliable. We recommend you get either the TF-100 Test Kits or the Taylor K-2006C. Also get the Speedstir Magnetic Stirrer for easier and more accurate testing. With a SWG you should also get the K-1766 Taylor Salt Test

Your water does not have the levels we recommend. See...

I am hesitant to tell you to adjust anything until you get your own test kit and have reliable test results.

Your FC and CYA is lower then we like to see in a SWG pool. Your CC is concerning and indicates you possibly have algae in your water. Your pH is high. Your salt is low and I am surprised your SWG is generating at that salt level.

What does the salinity level on your Aquarite display say?

I would increase your SWG % to raise your FC level to at least 4.

I suggest you read ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry get PoolMath and read Pool School - Trouble Free Pool to learn about TFPC methods.

Sorry for the late reply, I had a bit of a busy day. I am actually just now getting the levels all back to normal after it being down for winter. The aqua rite is now reading 3200 and I've had it full blast over the past 2 night's to bring the chlorine up. I also added a gallon of muratic acid. I really don't remember seeing these white streaks last summer, but that doesn't mean they weren't there. Could it possibly be something that can be corrected by balancing the levels and brushing?

It does appear to be a slight mottling issue.
However, some questions:
Are the whitish streaks curved, or are they straight?
Are there whitish streaks or blotches on the floor of shallow end and deep end?
How and where do you add the acid?

Thanks for the replies guys! I appreciate you taking the time to help out. To give you some more info, the guys the plaster company sent out messed up on one of the walls in the deep end by letting it dry on him. So after the inital fill, they had to re-drain the whole pool and power sand away the imperfections on the wall and my jet seat as much as possible. Then they sent out what looked like a 15 year old to do a second acid wash before filling. I will attach some more pictures that show more areas of the streaking. The darker streak in the deep end running down to the drain from the light is from the acid wash job and was there right away. The large white streak coming from the shallow end to the drain showed up over winter just like these other white streaks on the walls.

In response to your questions;
1. The streaks are pretty straight, but they all seem to curve at the bottom just where the floor curve is
2. Yes there are some whitish blotches around on the floor, mostly in the shallow end
3. I always add acid to the deep end, diluted, and away from the wall
4. The white streaks feel smooth as far as I can tell, but I haven't gotten in and really checked them all yet

It seems strange to me that these streaks would just show up. I can't say for certain that the smaller ones weren't there from the second acid wash job, but I am 85-90% certain that the larger white one in the deep end wasn't there.

Take a look and let me know what you think. Thanks alot

Attachments

• 20200415_140019.jpg
    20200415_140019.jpg
    308.8 KB · Views: 30
  • 20200415_140129.jpg
    20200415_140129.jpg
    351.3 KB · Views: 30
  • 20200415_140118.jpg
    20200415_140118.jpg
    334 KB · Views: 29
  • 20200415_183613.jpg
    20200415_183613.jpg
    285.6 KB · Views: 27
  • 20200415_183603.jpg
    20200415_183603.jpg
    227.7 KB · Views: 27
  • 20200415_140329.jpg
    20200415_140329.jpg
    251.1 KB · Views: 27
  • 20200415_140101.jpg
    20200415_140101.jpg
    330.7 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
Two acid washes? When was the first acid wash performed?
Knowing that the pool has received two acid washes changes things.
There is a good reason to believe that some of the streaks were caused by a poorly performed acid wash and are probably etched.
At this point, I suggest that you insist that the company come out and power-sand the entire pool. AND do not allow another acid wash to be done.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Two acid washes? When was the first acid wash performed?
Knowing that the pool has received two acid washes changes things.
There is a good reason to believe that some of the streaks were caused by a poorly performed acid wash and are probably etched.
At this point, I suggest that you insist that the company come out and power-sand the entire pool. AND do not allow another acid wash to be done.
Hey! Sorry for the late response but I had alot come up, couple of my close pets passed away and the pool had to wait. I really appreciate the reply. I believe you are right about a poor acid wash. The streaks are still there and haven't changed at all, maybe even slightly worse if that were possible. That is great advice. I will try to get them to come out and fix it, although the owner of the plaster company isn't a very nice guy at all. My pool contractor wants to do a soft acid wash by adding more acid to the water, do you think this is a viable solution or will it not work?

Adding acid is cheap and easy to do, and adding a lot will continue to etch the surface. But I doubt it will fix the discoloration problem. I stand with my previous advice. I suggest that draining the pool and power-sand the pool is the best way to restore the plaster.

Reactions: DavidDane
Adding acid is cheap and easy to do, and adding a lot will continue to etch the surface. But I doubt it will fix the discoloration problem. I stand with my previous advice. I suggest that draining the pool and power-sand the pool is the best way to restore the plaster.
Got in touch with the sub contractor who actually did the resurface, the not so nice one, and he told me that he only gives a one year warranty and he isn't going to do anything. I'm coming up on two years, and I didn't notice these issues really in the first year because it was cloudy for months, and then I just got busy with some things in life that came up during this past year. Do you happen to know what options I might have going forward and what I should do?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.