Calcium advice - plaster pool

De79web

Apr 27, 2022
Florida
Hello experts.

Looking for a little advise on my situation. Pool is 10,000 gallons, in ground, pebbletec, Florida, 1 year old.

Pool builder was not great, did not start up properly and originally filled with well water which is high in calcium (1300ppm). It was in there for a year before the pool store told me to get it out. In that time we had some flakes appear, and also some staining.

I had the pool store guy (who was very good) drain, acid wash, and fill with municipal water which was low in calcium (120ppm). He told me to not add calcium hardness, but to test weekly using my Taylor kit and see what it does. Said it would probably find it's level by taking some calcium back out of the walls. We did metal treatment (sequestrant) and the stains disappeared - looks great now.

That was a month ago and the weekly tests since have shown the calicum levels rising as follows: 140, 180, 230, 260, 300. The last test was yesterday. All other levels are spot on, always have been even with the high calcium levels earlier.

So I'm wondering if it's going to keep rising or will it level off? I was expecting it maybe to stop around 200? Should I be doing anything now other than brushing weekly? I don't want to sit back and find myself with super high levels again.

Thanks, Dave.

Welcome to TFP Dave.

Post a set of tests from your Taylor test kit. What test kit do you have?

FC
CC
pH
TA
CH
CYA
SALT
Water Temp

Reactions: Mdragger88
Said it would probably find it's level by taking some calcium back out of the walls.
After already doing an acid wash on a fairly new pool, that concerns me. Once plaster is pulled out of the plaster, it's gone. It becomes thinner and it's lifespan is shortened. If an acid wash was indeed to correct step to take in an effort to remove stains and scale, then the new water should've been balanced immediately upon fill. That's all over now, but you want to be sure the water remains balanced from here on. You should post a full set of test results so we can compare other variables related to the CH and your pool's CSI level.

Pool Care Basics

Hello!
I'm sorry to say this but your pool finish will last longer if you keep that pool guy away from it! Using an acid wash to get rid of scale is like using a nuclear bomb on a year old pool, and along with removing the scale it removed your pretty plaster.

Keeping your calcium too low where it "leaches out of the walls" is horrible advice. You want enough calcium in the water so as to NOT leach any from your walls.
Are you testing the calcium yourself with a Taylor calcium test?? Or is the pool store testing? What is today's level?

Here at TFP we have a nifty guide that helps folks determine chemistry levels that are most desirable.

You'll find a lot of helpful advice here at TFP, and we welcome you. Please let us teach you how to manage your pool?
Pool Care Basics

Maddie :flower:

Yesterday's figures:

FC 7
CC 0
pH 7.4
TA 80
CH 300
CYA 70
SALT 3675
Water Temp 88-90

The pool guy said the acid wash would help with any residual calcium on the walls, and he was very careful and quick when he did it. But I wasn't sure if I should have immediately balanced the calcium or not. I feel like the level it's at now is fine, but worried it might keep rising?

Thanks.

CH of 300 is okay... but I'd prefer it a tad higher. in Florida you tend to get a lot of rain so are often lowering the pool level, right?? Your calcium will be lost with that lowering.
Other people who don't need to lower their water level often see a rise in calcium because when water evaporates, it leaves the calcium behind. That's real common, and often a problem out west in the US.

You shouldn't need to add acid that often. Keep your pH in the 7s and your TA no higher than 80, and it should slow down.

Maddie :flower:

What test kit are you using?
How did you test the salt?
Test Kits Compared

Fill out your signature with pool, pool equipment (including manufacturers and model numbers) and test kit info.
This assists up in provide help that is more specific to your pool without needing to ask for that info each time.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.