CA vinyl pool

vixcadc

Aug 12, 2019
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Hi! I have a vinyl in ground pool, and live in southern CA. In the past 16 days, the weather has been mostly in the 90s. We had 2 3 digit temp. days. In that time my pool lost 17 1/2 inches. No one has been in the pool for several weeks, so no water is being lost that way. The pool now needs to be filled up to 2 times a day to stay full. The pool liner was new 4 years ago, and this issue started last year. Does this sound normal to you guys?

Hi! I have a vinyl in ground pool, and live in southern CA. In the past 16 days, the weather has been mostly in the 90s. We had 2 3 digit temp. days. In that time my pool lost 17 1/2 inches. No one has been in the pool for several weeks, so no water is being lost that way. The pool now needs to be filled up to 2 times a day to stay full. The pool liner was new 4 years ago, and this issue started last year. Does this sound normal to you guys?
On a dry, hot, sunny day you might lose 1/2" of water (ball parking it) and that would be a lot.

You have a leak. A big one. One that is likely causing some erosion down below somewhere. Start by troubleshooting whether the level only drops when the pump is running, if there are any wet spots in the surrounding area, if the water level stops dropping at a specific point, etc. Those are some of the easy ways to start identifying your leak.

Reactions: Chickinvic

Sounds like excessive loss to me. Here in Ottawa we often get those temperatures in the summer, and our vinyl liner pool doesn't lose anywhere near that much due to evaporation.