Bronze Supporter
Jul 1, 2023
Sacramento/CA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Live in the Sacramento, CA area. So hot summers. We have an in ground 21,000 gallon pool with an in ground 800 gallon spa with pebbletec surface installed in 2001. Just fired pool service company and have decided to care for myself. . . With help of course. I used to care for pool prior to 2004.

Thanks, I have read through them and need to read again. When we fired the service company here were our numbers: FC 0; TC 0; CC 0; PH 7.8; TA 40; CH 80; CA 0. from local pool/spa store. After one week are are now FC 3.0: TC 3.0; CC 0; TA 90; CH 210; CA 30. This is where they recommend us to be at. Pebbletec says PH 7.2-7.6; TA 80-100; CH 200-300; FC 1-3; CA 20-30; LSI -0.3 - 0.3. Well, here we go. I look forward to learning and sharing.

You need a proper test kit. I suggest the TF-100 or Taylor K2006C. A proper test kit is needed to get the accurate water chemistry results needed to follow the TFP protocols.

While you are waiting on your test kit, add 5 ppm FC worth of liquid chlorine / plain bleach to your pool each evening with the pump running. This will replenish the FC lost each day to the sun.

Received my TF-100. . . I feel like a chemist now. wow. here are my first results. FC 2.5; CC 0.5; PH 7.6; TA 90; CH 225; CYA 30. the CC test is interesting. when i first put the drop in the color turned clear but then gradually became very, very faint pinkish could that be from some flakes still in the tube? I did add 1/2 gallon of 12.5% chlorine after the test.

Thanks, Jeff

Looks good. Your CYA level is pretty low for summer in Sac. I would raise that to 50 ppm and maintain the FC based on FC/CYA Levels

With the FC - CC test, once the drop puts the sample to colorless, the test is over. If you let it sit, it will turn pink again.