Damascus, MD
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Aquapure 1400
I used to be able to C&P a picture from my desktop to a forum post with no issues. I can still do that, and the post looks fine initially, but if I come back to the post a few days later the picture is corrupted and all I see is numbers. Is something going on with that that can be fixed?

I used to be able to C&P a picture from my desktop to a forum post with no issues. I can still do that, and the post looks fine initially, but if I come back to the post a few days later the picture is corrupted and all I see is numbers. Is something going on with that that can be fixed?
Can you please show an example post where that’s occuring?

I find it easier to just use the drag & drop button up in the tool bar for quick picture attachment. I know it’s a lot more “work” but using the ADD MEDIA functions over in the menu lets you upload stuff to your own personal space and organize images with tags and what not. Images become searchable items for others on the forum and they can even quickly jump to a post where the image is being used.

Checked a few of your recent posts and I’m not seeing any problems on the ones with pictures. What device and browser are you using?

When you post things, exactly what steps do you take? I ask as the URL of the “broken” one is from “Google user content” while the one that works actually got uploaded to TFP.

When you post things, exactly what steps do you take? I ask as the URL of the “broken” one is from “Google user content” while the one that works actually got uploaded to TFP.

I copy and paste them from my computer. I have done this a lot. I go into my google pictures, bring up a picture, right click and choose "copy", I then paste that into my post.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I copy and paste them from my computer. I have done this a lot. I go into my google pictures, bring up a picture, right click and choose "copy", I then paste that into my post.
Do you mean you are copying from Google Photos? A couple of things I found when I tried that. From the thumbnail view, when I right click, "Copy link address" is the only option. When I open the picture, I get both "Copy image" and "Copy image address". Which process are you using?

"Copy image" from the opened picture works, but from the thumbnail, even Ctrl+C doesn't let me paste the image into a post here.

Do you mean you are copying from Google Photos? A couple of things I found when I tried that. From the thumbnail view, when I right click, "Copy link address" is the only option. When I open the picture, I get both "Copy image" and "Copy image address". Which process are you using?

"Copy image" from the opened picture works, but from the thumbnail, even Ctrl+C doesn't let me paste the image into a post here.

I go into my Google Photos from a web browser, select the photo (not the thumbnail), right click, select copy, then go to the editor window here, either right click, and paste, or ctrl-v.

Like this:

AM-JKLW0VG-ooXYMtO48sINb2Js9hhPvNUot9SHImGXxedLEfkcc3TMV39CDz7_W4X-R63tTJ43z7aRGA-D7grl0ha3CBx9i5qGMpDxoY3yfMX7ChbOcQE7wZrDld3yx6Pkk1R4CwThIleGEALk7pADwCCWd=w501-h890-no

One of the largest items I’m seeing is that the photos aren’t pasted to TFP’s site. It’s displaying a link from Google. While the issue may end up being something on TFP it’s a bit extra work tracing the problem as there’s somethings going on outside of our control.

One of the largest items I’m seeing is that the photos aren’t pasted to TFP’s site. It’s displaying a link from Google. While the issue may end up being something on TFP it’s a bit extra work tracing the problem as there’s somethings going on outside of our control.

The pictures in question were initially viewable by all (as evidenced by the "likes" on them). At some point they became corrupted. The one above was a C&P. How does it show within TFP servers? Perhaps it is a bug in whatever editor the site is using?

It does show as "google user content" so I think it is not actually pasting the image but a link to the image. I will delete the image above from my system and see what happens.

Reactions: Leebo
[IMG]https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pw/AM-JKLW0VG-ooXYMtO48sINb2Js9hhPvNUot9SHImGXxedLEfkcc3TMV39CDz7_W4X-R63tTJ43z7aRGA-D7grl0ha3CBx9i5qGMpDxoY3yfMX7ChbOcQE7wZrDld3yx6Pkk1R4CwThIleGEALk7pADwCCWd=w501-h890-no?authuser=0[/IMG]

This is all that’s being shown. The file itself never ends up on TFP.

[IMG]https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pw/AM-JKLW0VG-ooXYMtO48sINb2Js9hhPvNUot9SHImGXxedLEfkcc3TMV39CDz7_W4X-R63tTJ43z7aRGA-D7grl0ha3CBx9i5qGMpDxoY3yfMX7ChbOcQE7wZrDld3yx6Pkk1R4CwThIleGEALk7pADwCCWd=w501-h890-no?authuser=0[/IMG]

This is all that’s being shown. The file itself never ends up on TFP.

The problem is that Google is serving up an image with the "circle/blocked" logo when using that link. You can prove that yourself by removing the BBC codes within the [ ] square brackets and paste the remaining part of the URL into a browser window. See the screenshot I attached, and note the URL/address at the top of that screenshot.

Google attaches "permissions" to every image link. If the file permissions are not set appropriately, the "owner" of the photo can view it, but the rest of us cannot (Google considers this a 'privacy' issue). Note that part of the URL includes "authuser=0".

This is likely an issue with file permissions at Google, and can only be fixed by the owner of the image changing those permissions. Or upload the image directly to TFP with the "Attach files" button.

Attachments

• TFPGoogle.png
    TFPGoogle.png
    333.1 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
I don't really see in modern software programming how cut & paste on an actual image file would work. All software systems do their very best to limit the amount of actual data that has to be moved around and so the actual image data is stored in a single location and then references (links) are used. As soon as the file/directory access permissions change (or new privacy settings are adopted that limit how data can be retrieved), that's when problems will set in. It's kind of "old school" to use cut and paste as a methodology for moving/storing/uploading files.

Use the built-in media upload (yes, I know it takes more time and effort) and these problems go away .... that is until @Leebo updates the forum software OR Google changes it's privacy settings.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.