Does Whiteish/Gray Concrete Yellow Over Time?

TFPNoobie

Aug 5, 2020
Jamison, PA
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-20
Soon we're going to have to pick out our pool decking. I like the idea of brushed concrete because it doesn't require a lot of maintenance, it's relatively cheap, and I like the whiteish/gray natural color. However, I don't think I've ever seen older concrete patios or driveways that stay that whiteish gray color. Does all concrete yellow and turn to beige as it gets dirty over time?

I'm going to have a small retaining wall that is gray in color and I don't want 5-10 years from now to have a biege pool deck with a gray retaining wall. I'm also considering exposed aggregate but I have the same concerns over time. Stamped is also an option and I'm thinking this may be the best option if I want to maintain the color over a long period of time. I just don't like that it is more slippery and requires more maintenance.

Any feedback or experience is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

I am the opposite-I like concrete for maintenance purposes but don’t want any grey in it. Talking with my builder he said it would definitely start looking a more ivory color (which is what I want) in about a year, he was advising me against using this specific coloring product because he said that would end up turning pink in a few years.

@PoolGate Do you have an original and recent picture of your brushed concrete deck for the conversation?

Ours is not as white as new, but has changed color very evenly over the 5 years we have had it. Also the "brushed" portion tends to wear away as well leaving a smoother finish.

GYaqWLseOXrw-rj57J799eGgjhM2O87ifc4xJTIxqwy4CKggXhzx6bVgiW6oXTrldF2UY-T5euPMoYgz0PC2sm6EyOJRa4ZWkbCFLr4K8u1OCeFFP3dUQQMVMbSoTKcM6hWWDMcKRmhxaAP8BcqDI6vqbG3UU1Aj1lcg5l7XneLoc5UqL3KwNx-ZBHjuUvH_4bE-NwW6C3CKYgiVAzQ9vAznsdsWpaebW6LZop2At-LRnz5DZjRBnwQaUroqs38JhTvLwEQEKkjL4kn3Or3LdKw9pS2nw0_Q_SheUeqhJDs1l6E1-WD_Mx418V2Tx-8Yi_csAf3q41SWYtro6N-ktNGqo8RVizenW8HKxIeFN8VWC99opyhXFxVl0YhgjivXAso27EbBJ0P87bUGha-xlfPf8M8XzzOsusR_ohy81smSAKNtl5_slam9FeUeeBVAUxXEUbS74lK7LmmPwoKK12C_4eBgaHDOujjmFNiOUVQAzN4CUM0as2ATcO8LOIlxGaJRjaJdmpGFEcz7HCtxpqq0MFdYg5N_XDsGqzWcZPD2Ii_ZconZpFQY2koX-Dth-EddbCKGWyXEfjllmlzqDAGAyXD0wlRYSbvHOZVg5MDk2P9yKghdPROko-awREAAPbJDHo1cpoE9b1mfzZFRs9Ik2MYRqnpklstXFROruhdjbOjBSeKrR2BSGYo1pMiXoyN4dUinUkeyITWpQmxZ2CQd=w1684-h947-no

Aopz9yXOOvehiUmr05yC_EQsEypkeP3SRN8vyzHcK9Lfa8DKGUSgnooKupNtrld4ByC7pTAfZOShrutpkK7dYj8N_ZQxAc77KlwdKWvL8YAuwdn_jWhgYIEMFEVclx8DR_4ucKs5vpSl_5RQ9a_FlrKoOjeWfW9UNMXHL3jmTtF525NC05gVzm93VTU676YJofcZPI_5FAs5L_6exs5gMZi1utOyPjI8l6ZYRggJMjkO0yDljqYn5XEc1373qCHsc4MjPJ-n2RbpDrYp_-wNOka4NF-jxuz2cWojHpx_W_LMLIKPQmwPh8yKssDAgOLrp1KaDxWu0vbKEVZdneAmQHpUBu2DTSD32nZT6fmeD6FYbLQ7bH5v_KHlaywiRgXjobMV9MJ0zIxoLpIM37Nv-HqUEQ7Y5YDc7sekljIhL9ZoYHcEboUVSOpgZaZ8j677ve3hnVks8p2HDypr9P4jJOdAMj8J4ZfdItXY4wdNhfZ7uK9WpGQ-NKfjjXML3g0MCO-DsnCuTZw_OpapSwAPTvgAQY-iGiXekfNaVuMubXyfHJb6A0WaskFyjY-TJZtL9jHTB_tVNgXoNqE7EjzswQWViKpfRIh-3ctAUpBZN7m7RqJ5BBOMXuSaBItspOEwJEqt_x-UhZ-4ehyFYP6Um-Pd6-ZLWJyfFmqe6nwsaWz0NBWA7tGeg_wm4zY5Mu8xLQn7YicCSJMnSKtHCjlA09z4=w1684-h947-no

oDQpFzCeNUvh_f2j_abgFoHep3T7-wwvZGVKIrPpWDurdoaw-N_GfXfPP4WCx8dYloR3_V7ypS4CBbcEh6E8ycdugjuBf8iMDbIzWp5kyeRNWg8wwA41mx_D1adLbYAEdIIDeiSoKZb4I_ahP7ukspi1y6-CzwnjcGaWWQMICh0GUP8OAWb_dAYN0W6KbuXGx2E3FMNolK6m_wpTrJbELmPL1rJnccUL7uDZAUhMiGoj5nO0au8JidKCHp0tqK7mjhWpBc8NLhAtfhayL7TvxWSsSBiZRjO6MJaaXnEnTaKW2DQLzjcSEttipusfEsem1yDIuAiutIR-LjeRmW6DSbrtwSdeFhFSZSN91jsoFgI5eHxW60HKYvltXPQvkGQPiPtOBO_SOpNjDDYLl4Gi2O5OKo21KZQWsEO6PZ-FvJBgU89KNp-PdQ8uFKfRgXTKoyuxpPBouilY8wF9nucprwcoz3wWP_jFtuxXzRdKP8pJ7UH5AmccA13ZWAVxYN2Ke3g_d7HxsFG8t0_Abl8mXcW7MrXhATAGuHlPQST7IhVI5eYOa13KHqa_EZOWH2P1U_Mv0Zvla7Ovj0G9TIIT8eJOwIgcdN7nYWkwW8eMQA2uJdLJtGN_ePkBE0aTtcDgo8YXZQykuxKesslqNZN5Pu4_zFeYLzJLQqVfIh8IF9SIBAAOuc6KeQre_k2gJczRgTdK4qBYpcM3GZlr5kyZ0h9U=w533-h947-no

Reactions: bmoreswim
I do like that pattern and it looks like they did a nice job. Is that some kind of stamped? Looks like some combo of stamped, brushed, and exposed aggregate, lol. I like it though. I'm assuming that was a much lighter gray when it was first completed? I'm fearful of getting it poured whiteish gray and changing to a beige like this. But from the pics yours looks pretty good.

I'm fearful of getting it poured whiteish gray and changing to a beige like this.
If it does, consider that you'll probably be looking at it with rose colored glasses. You wouldn't be starting there with a boom. One unnoticeable shade at a time would make it just look normal and once you're used to seeing the ending shades, you'll probably consider those normal.

I suspect you'd love it as it ages as it's your backyard 'baby'.

Reactions: TFPNoobie

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I do like that pattern and it looks like they did a nice job. Is that some kind of stamped? Looks like some combo of stamped, brushed, and exposed aggregate, lol. I like it though. I'm assuming that was a much lighter gray when it was first completed? I'm fearful of getting it poured whiteish gray and changing to a beige like this. But from the pics yours looks pretty good.

It is called "stone marking". It is just a $1/sq foot to have done. The guy carves the lines into the wet concrete using a grill brush.

Check my sigline pics those were taken when the pool was first built 5 years ago. Honestly there is not a whole lot of difference in color. You could go with tinted concrete as well.

Reactions: TFPNoobie
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.