Bypassed Booster - an issue with the SWG?

JGrana01

Dec 26, 2022
Redding CA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-20
Not long after I bought my house with it’s built in pool, I did some upgrades (IntelliCenter, SWG, variable speed pump). It was November and the pool store guys installed the SWG but did not plug it in. The booster pump was running slow/sometimes not at all. So one of the pool guys said that since I had a good Dolphin pool cleaner, I really didn’t need a booster. I agreed so he bypassed the booster with a hose

IMG_1958.jpeg
Now that it is June, we plugged in the SWG and its has been running for a month (great investment).
I realized yesterday that the bypass is before the SWG, sending filtered but unchlorinated water to the sweep outlet in the pool.

My levels have been “ok” - still dialing in. But, I am not sure sending this to the pool is beneficial…
One idea - place a brass garden hose shutoff valve at the one end and reduce the flow. I could cap both ends, but then would have a pipe going to the pool with no flow.
Am I making too much of this? Just leave it be or put in the valve?

The water flow through the cell must to be UP... See Pentair's manual.

The by-pass will take some of the flow that should be going through the cell, so you will have to run your pump a little faster.

I'd move the cell to the other side of the by-pass, which will solve both problems.

Thanks,

Jim R.

The water flow through the cell must to be UP... See Pentair's manual.

The by-pass will take some of the flow that should be going through the cell, so you will have to run your pump a little faster.

I'd move the cell to the other side of the by-pass, which will solve both problems.

Thanks,

Jim R.
Thanks Jim. I didn't know this! I no longer use that pool company any longer. I am pretty comfortable managing my readings and chemistry (largely due to TFP!).
As far as moving the SWG - lots of room for it on the pipe coming from the heater along the ground.
The issue I see is where the SWG is presently. Not much room for fittings. I do know there is a dummy bypass cell that I could put in it's place and avoid a major re-pipe.

Not sure if you are going to do the work, or someone else, but here is what I would do.

I'd remove the existing cell and the by-pass. Then I'd install the cell in the up pipe from the heater.
Then from the new cell I'd do a PVC connection to the old booster line back to the pool (Get rid of the black hose)
Then back down to where the old cell connecting near the ground.

For me the would the simplest solution and very easy to do.

Basically instead of trying to make things 'fit' into what is there now, just remove the old and in with the new. :mrgreen:

You can buy new unions for the SWCG if needed.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: JGrana01
I would likely have a local guy do the work. He’s pretty good - he installed an big whole house generator that required some serious gas pipe work. I will ask him about 2” PVC.
As far as the unions, can you give me a pointer to a few?

Thanks again!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.