Buying house with pool: Liner age and when to replace? Pool inspector?

EarpWJ

May 23, 2019
Northern CA
My wife and I have been talking about buying a house with a pool for years. I grew up with a pool and her best friend had a pool, so naturally we want a pool!

In the area with live in now, liner pools are pretty much the only option if we want an inground pool. I have been looking at a few homes and one we are looking at now has a pool liner that is 10 years old. It looks like its in good shape, I can see some fading, but no visible tears/cracks/wrinkles. What are other things I should check for? I don't think I can ask to jump in and examine from underwater.

Should I hire a pool inspector?

Hi, welcome to TFP :wave:

So it appears the liner is holding water, so that's a good thing!

Can the pump be turned on? What equipment is there.....type of filter? Salt water chlorine generator? How many pumps? Secondary pumps run water features. Can you turn all this stuff on and is it working? You should be able to ask to do that.....or hire a pool inspector.

How does the water look- clear or green, cloudy or clear?

Can you look around to see what pool chemicals they own, jot a list or take a quick picture. We can help decipher a few things from your list.

Maddie :flower:

Hi, welcome to TFP :wave:

Thanks

Can the pump be turned on? What equipment is there.....type of filter? Salt water chlorine generator? How many pumps? Secondary pumps run water features. Can you turn all this stuff on and is it working? You should be able to ask to do that

Good idea, I'll try that, they say the pump is 3 years old. I think its a typical sand(?) filter. Not salt. One pump that I know of. I'll see if I can get permission from the owner to turn on all the equipment. Assuming I see water moving and nothing is leaking or dirt water coming out, is there anything to take note of?

How does the water look- clear or green, cloudy or clear?

It looks great! Ready to use. Attached is a pic of the equipment, sorry its small, I didn't take the picture.

Can you look around to see what pool chemicals they own, jot a list or take a quick picture. We can help decipher a few things from your list.

I didn't think to look, thanks for the idea!

Any thoughts on the liner? I will take pics next time when I visit a 2nd time before I make my offer.

Ask the owners to turn it on....they can explain the equipment to you then.

While we don't generally trust pool store test results, if you can grab a sample of water from about a foot down, and take it to the pool store. Ask them to test for metals along with everything else. Tell us the results and while we would never use these results to do anything about, it might give us all a clue in to the health of the water. And possibly any management you'll have to plan for .

We passed on that home and are looking at another.

I am looking at one now that the liner was replaced in 2013. It does show a bunch of fading, but I don't see any other issues like cracking. It looks smooth, water is crystal clear. Equipment runs smoothly, they had everything on when I came to see it.

So how do I tell if it has a leak? How would one notice this other than your water keeps getting lower?

You'd look for wet spots around the equipment pad while the pump was running. Or wet spots in ground around the pump. You can't see wet under cement, but if your pool lowered more than expected it could signal a pipe break which can be under cement.
In a liner leak the pool would continuously leak until just under the damaged portion of the liner, than stop. Repeatedly.

I'm less concerned about a faded liner myself. That happens due to sun, bad chemistry or whatever. The liner is printed and some of the blue inks are particularly prone to fade as they're organic inks.

Different house: Hows this equipment look? It was on and running quietly when I was there. Pool liner was faded but looked like it was in good shape.

How much should I expect for a diving board? Pool is 8-9' deep according to owner, it is the deep end sort.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The stairs have an issue, any idea how much this might cost to repair?

I am wondering if maybe it leaks from the upper damaged area, water level was at that height, but then again the water level was still at a height where the skimmer was working.

<shrug> beats me? It looks like something my husband would take on as a DIY repair.....perhaps some fiberglass repair kit exists that would do the job? If you dropped the water down and let the steps dry, then perhaps its a cut out-repair. I'm just theorizing here though, you understand.

You are on the backside of your liner life assuming a 10 year life. I've seen liners go a lot longer but you never know. I'd have a pool guy look at the stairs and get an idea of the cost to replace them if necessary. The damage may just be cosmetic. On the other hand my steps are 20 years old and don't look that bad. Worse case you plan on replacing the stairs when the liner goes. Once you know your options I'd adjust your offer for the house accordingly.

I agree the steps could possibly be a DIY project for someone handy like that.
If not DIY, you might consider calling someone that repairs fiberglass tubs and surrounds. I had a guy come in and repair a fg shower surround (i put a hole right through it while trying to put a new door on). I was amazed at the repair...it looked like it never happened....like new. Cost me about $200 if I remember right. He said he did a lot of fiberglass pool and step repairs.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.