Buyers remorse 😔

Kdaboul123

Apr 19, 2023
Connecticut
I just purchased a 27ft round (52 inches deep) above ground pool with a salt system. I have a family of 4 ( 10 and 6 year old girls and husband ) . My husband and I debated getting an oval (15x30) or round pool (27 ft) either shape fits our yard. We really leaned towards oval primarily bc we like the look of it a little better. However we got sold on the round bc it was a few thousand dollars cheaper (including install) and capacity was similar. The pool was delivered yesterday and set to be installed mid May. I woke up very early this morning and could not fall back asleep wondering if I should return the pool and exchange for the oval shaped 15x30. Can anyone share their opinions of pros/cons to the size and/or shape difference with these pools ???? Thanks 😊

Reactions: Geminisq
Welcome to TFP! :wave: FYI - I'm going to move your thread to the AGP sub-forum, but I can tell you that it's very easy to second guess a pool decision. Whether it be color, size, depth, location, accessories, etc, it's easy to look back and have doubt. It's a decent investment, so you want to be happy. If it really troubles you, call the seller and speak to them about it. They may surprise you and say that an exchange at this point is best as they (hopefully) want a happy customer. But at least have that discussion so you feel better about the outcome.

I'm sure others will reply soon, so stay close to this thread. Be sure to visit out Pool Care Basics page and let us know if you have any question. Enjoy the forum. :swim:

Reactions: Kdaboul123
Oval VS round is subjective on the owner. While you'd have 3 more feet to swim lengthwise with the 30 ft oval, you have 12 less ft to swim side to side.

We were going to install an oval for the aesthetics of it, but the kids would have benefitted from being able to swim/play a maximum amount of feet in any direction from the center of a circle. Kids don't care about laps like older swimmers do, nor do they care about aesthitecs. The pool is wet and they're OK with that as their only requirement. :)

As luck would have it, we sold the house with the inground pool we build instead of the above ground, and inherited a 15x30 oval. It seemed so skinny compared to the length and I would have preferred a 27 or 30 ft round. Had we been lap people, I may have preferred the oval. The oval did look really nice sitting there though. Decisions decisions. Lol. I don't envy anyone choosing.

We are on our 2nd 24 ft round pool, when we originally bought a pool we were told that oval pools with buttresses need a fence around the pool which we didn't want. We don't swim in the pool but we float around, get wet and drink adult beverages! 😁
We had our last pool while our sons were young, they didn't seem to be too concerned with the size ... I think it's all a personal preference. We wouldn't do anything more in a oval pool then we do in a round pool. Floating, getting wet and drinking adult beverages would be the same; if you are into actual swimming then oval would probably be better.

I have a round pool & I prefer it mainly because it has great circulation (the toilet bowl effect is super easy in a round pool).
If they already delivered you may be on the hook for a restock fee as well as the additional cost for the other pool so take that into consideration (not sure of your budget).
There’s a bit more work involved in installing an oval pool because of the extra supports as well so that adds to the cost.
As mentioned above it really depends on how you will use the pool & your yard- there’s alot of factors with the decision.
Are you diy’ing the build?
Also curious- What swg did you get?

I have a round pool & I prefer it mainly because it has great circulation (the toilet bowl effect is super easy in a round pool).
If they already delivered you may be on the hook for a restock fee as well as the additional cost for the other pool so take that into consideration (not sure of your budget).
There’s a bit more work involved in installing an oval pool because of the extra supports as well so that adds to the cost.
As mentioned above it really depends on how you will use the pool & your yard- there’s alot of factors with the decision.
Are you diy’ing the build?
Also curious- What swg did you get?

Thanks for the feedback- getting everyone’s responses is making me feel a bit better about the 27 ft round😊 I hadn’t considered a restock fee so that is also something to consider. What does swg stand for ?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I am actually buying my pool...now..as I type this it is in my cart. I have a 75 x 150 lot. My wife for 2 years has been yelling at me to buy the oval pool 15 x 30 because we have such a long yard and the 15 foot wide nice space saving and we have plenty of yard left for kids to play etc etc etc.
I like the look of the oval better personally. However....15 x 30 is 10k gallons 24' round same size. Price difference in the pool is $2,000. The install for the oval was also quoted at almost $500 more. So for $2,500 to "save" 9' in width was ridiculous to me. If you have the width then round is no brainer, save that $ and put it into a deck, paver or whatever else floats your boat. However, it is your money and if spending the extra money for the same space makes you happy cause you like the look better, nobody will blame you. Hope that helps!

Thanks for the feedback- getting everyone’s responses is making me feel a bit better about the 27 ft round😊 I hadn’t considered a restock fee so that is also something to consider. What does swg stand for ?
I would listen to what the others are saying and don’t second-guess yourself… you chose what you chose for a reason…. go with your gut …..you will be happy ….. your kids will be happy …..I promise. Next year about this time you won’t even be thinking about any of this you will just be ready to open your pool up and get in there for the summer. Enjoy your swimming this summer and many summers to come!! 💦💦💙💙💦💦

I think we can all agree that no matter the project/pool, analysis paralysis and information overload befalls us all.

But what better place to overthink it than here, amongst fellow enthusiasts ? :)
Analysis paralysis is the most fitting term when it comes to choosing a swimming pool. I’ve had it, I know you’ve probably had it, we have all had it. 😵‍💫😵‍💫😵‍💫🤪🤪🤪😂

Next year about this time you won’t even be thinking about any of this you will just be ready to open your pool up and get in there for the summer.
#preach. I did the destroy the yard, build, reassemble the yard thing last year. The pool got built with 1800 sq ft of patio. I had to run half an acres worth of irrigation, laid down 25 yards of topsoil, 10 yards of mulch, 5 yards of gravel...... all by hand. Then the seed, fertilizer, more seed and fertilizer and I barely finished by the first freeze.

I popped the cover yesterday and there's a finished pool under there. The grass is coming in like gangbusters all by itself.

10/10 would reccomend year 2. (y)

#preach. I did the destroy the yard, build, reassemble the yard thing last year. The pool got built with 1800 sq ft of patio. I had to run half an acres worth of irrigation, laid down 25 yards of topsoil, 10 yards of mulch, 5 yards of gravel...... all by hand. Then the seed, fertilizer, more seed and fertilizer and I barely finished by the first freeze.

I popped the cover yesterday and there's a finished pool under there. The grass is coming in like gangbusters all by itself.

10/10 would reccomend year 2. (y)
🥳🥳🥳🥳🥳🥳🥳🥳

For me, it was all about maximizing yard space, and round did that best. It’s a more “natural” shape, even if not as pretty — the water pushes equally in all directions and so no buttresses are needed.

My only possible regret on my 24 round is… could I have fit a 27???

I would listen to what the others are saying and don’t second-guess yourself… you chose what you chose for a reason…. go with your gut …..you will be happy ….. your kids will be happy …..I promise. Next year about this time you won’t even be thinking about any of this you will just be ready to open your pool up and get in there for the summer. Enjoy your swimming this summer and many summers to come!! 💦💦💙💙💦💦
Thank you! This really helps ease some of my anxiety 🙂

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.