Busted Pipe - What did I do wrong when I closed

rdelisa

Bronze Supporter
Sep 16, 2017
Arvada
As the days have become warmer in Colorado, I took a few minutes to inspect things in the pump room and discovered a busted pipe that goes from my heater to the back and into the pump. It makes sense that water must have settled there because it is the low point. What worries me is what did I do wrong when I closed? This is my fourth year closing the pool by myself and hadn't had any problems before. This is my procedure:

1. I attach a cyclone blower to the skimmer side, turn on blower and plug each jet, one at a time.
2. I switch my input from Jet to Fountain and blow water out of the fountain until nothing but air is coming out.
3. I unplug the pump and heater and blow that out.
4. I pour antifreeze down skimmer and gently blow, then plug with a gizmo.
5. I blow-out the main drain with additional antifreeze and plug. I finish up by putting an half-bottle of anti-freeze in the skimmer bucket.
6. The pool equipment was bone dry when I was done. I left all the fitting and attachments open. Everything seemed bone dry.

However .... note in the first picture there is a red, bypass valve on the right of the furnace.

If I had to guess the problem is I may have left the by-pass closed and so water remained in that back pipe. (See photos)
Or, can a pipe just break apart from old age without water expanding? I did not see any signs of water on the floor, though it may have all just dried by the time I looked at it.

Two questions:

1. Can a good plumber fix this or does he have to have "Pool Guy" by his name? I have found that pool plumbers are far more expensive. I know a good plumber who has done very good and affordable work for me on other pipes around the house, but I haven't used him for pool equipment.

2. Assuming what is visible here is the only damage how much should I expect to pay?

Thanks for the help!

Rob

Attachments

• Broken Pipe 1.jpg
    Broken Pipe 1.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 43
  • Other Side Pipe on Floor.jpg
    Other Side Pipe on Floor.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 41
  • Broke Pipe on Pump Side.jpg
    Broke Pipe on Pump Side.jpg
    113.1 KB · Views: 42
Any plumber who knows how to glue PVC can repair it. Make sure he uses schedule 40 deep hub fittings and not DWV fittings used in house plumbing.

Your pics don't show your entire plumbing flow and I can't get a visual picture of where the cracked pipe fits in your water flow.

a busted pipe that goes from my heater to the back and into the pump

On the heater input side there is the filter in between the pump and the heater.

On the output side the heater runs into your chlorinator and return valves.

So I don't understand where this cracked pipe is.

Thanks for the info. Let me go take a look and see if I can get my mind wrapped around this enough to explain exactly where it is. I think it has something to do with the bypass valve that you see. It is an extra length of pipe that runs in the back and sits on the floor between either the input or output of the heater and the chlorinator (I think output) where the broken pipe is shown in the picture. Let me see if I can make it more clear and perhaps send a better picture.

Thanks again.

This might help:

Broken Pipe 1: From the input of the heater. Just above the pipe is connected to the bypass valve to the right. Broken pipe goes down to the ground.
Broken Pipe 2: Shows how the pipe runs along the floor just to the left of the sand filter
Broken Pipe 3: The pipe is broken just where it makes 90 degree turn into the section before the valve, just before the zinc anode.

Attachments

• Pipe 1.jpg
    Pipe 1.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 22
  • Pipe 2.jpg
    Pipe 2.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 22
  • Pipe 3.jpg
    Pipe 3.jpg
    127.8 KB · Views: 22
Those don’t look like ice breaks to me, are you certain no equipment moved?
Nothing moved as far as I know. Maybe a major settling of the earth? I thought ice breaks seemed questionable too. No signs of water the few times I checked over the winter and spring.
And here's a weird thing: The cover was blown off of the chlorinator control panel. Somehow it popped off all by itself....

I’m still betting a shift of something occurred. you would really have to mess up blowing your lines to leave that much water in them
Upon further inspection I am 95% certain you are right. Water settles and would have only affected the bottom pipe at the lowest point. I cannot imagine water being up to the point of the break near the chlorinator. I am trying to remember if I dropped something in the pump room last Fall when I was cleaning up.. That's a huge shift to cause that. The pipe is very brittle - almost like shards of glass.

The pipe is very brittle - almost like shards of glass.

How old is your pool and that PVC?

PVC gets brittle from the suns UV rays. That is why PVC in high sun areas is painted to protect it from the suns UV.

How old is your pool and that PVC?

PVC gets brittle from the suns UV rays. That is why PVC in high sun areas is painted to protect it from the suns UV.
We've had the pool as long as we've had the house. It is probably 20 years old. The pipe, though, is shaded since it is inside the pump room. Doesn't get too much sun.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.