Burning Eyes

Jul 21, 2013
Philly
Ok so through my research on this site if i am correct i read it is not the chlorine level that gives you red and burning eyes its the PH level. Well ever since i switched to salt water we all have burning red eyes every time were in the pool. My ph stabilizes at 8.2 so im constantly adding muriatic acid to being it down the 7.2. Then repeat when it reaches. When the pool was liquid chlorine pool i kept chlorine at 3ppm. Now thats its salt water its 6ppm. I try to keep my chemicals to water this forum says. So what can i do to stop this? Not sure where my signature is anymore but incase this info is needed.... 20k gallon plaster pool, pentair vs pump, 36 de filter

Chlorine 6
Ph 7.6
Ch 350
Ta 110
Cya 50
Salt 4200ppm

No reason to drop pH to 7.2. When it gets to 8, drop it to 7.6 like you report now.

CC can also be an issue with eyes.

Fc 3.5
Cc 0.5
Ph 8.2
CH 300
Ta 120
Cya 50
Salt 3600

So today ph is high so i will run and grab a gallon of muriatic acid to bring it down. But even when low eyes still burn.
Also cya is getting low so i will add conditioner.

CC of 0.5 is an ok level showing the CL is doing its sanitation job. No action required. The sun will burn off those CC.

What would you like me to do as far as the .5 cc?
Nothing. .5 cc and 0.0 cc are identical as far as TFP is concerned.

Just a guess but do you think sunscreen in your pool could be the cause of the burning eyes as Flying Tivo thinks?

A reasonable level of chlorine does not cause burning nor does a reasonable pH.

I don't think this solves your burning eyes issue but you need to keep pH in the mid to upper 7;s and I would like to see you lower TA down to around 60 https://www.troublefreepool.com/content/129-how-to-lower-lowering-total-alkalinity......that needs to be done regardless.

Do that and then report again on the burning.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.