Built in Table

I think the cleaner issue is a big one. Any table, no matter how it's in your pool, is going to impact cleaning, one way or another. It's easy to compare the hours my cleaner works (and saves me) vs the hours I'd be sitting at a table in my pool. Manual cleaning, or untangling a cleaner hose or robot cable from your table leg(s) is going to get old, fast.

If the table was removable, then you could pull it out for the off season, keep your vac happy, and then deal with the cleaner issue only during the swim season.

I'm with you, I don't see how any sort of pedestal in any sort of receptacle is going to be strong enough or stable enough to work well. Plus, it's a big fulcrum that people are going to be leaning on and up against that's going to be prying away at your plaster (no matter how well that receptacle is installed. Put an umbrella in there? And the wind come's up? Bye, bye plaster. All you'd have to do is forget and leave it open one time. No way. I'd be looking at other solutions, frankly. An umbrella that hangs over the pool, you know, one of those arched things. Or, I use a shade sail over my pool. 100% wind proof, nothing to trip over, doesn't take up any deck space, etc. Then, if you really had to have a table in your pool, just find a nice looking stand-alone table that can stand up to pool water and sun and drop it in. Done. Take it out when you want. Move it around the pool. Totally versatile. Forget the permanent installation.

Sorry, don't mean to beat up your vision, just giving you another point of view to help you figure this out...

Bro dont be sorry. I'm a neophyte when it comes to pools. So that is why I'm here looking like a fool asking questions. Anything you can offer I"m all ears. SO no worries my friend!!!

Do you think having a lip in the floor going into the sitting area so the pool cleaner does get up into ?

Do you think having a lip in the floor going into the sitting area so the pool cleaner does get up into ?

I know it's easy enough to block a cleaner. My pool drains were creating havoc with mine, so the right lip or step will solve for that, for sure. Two issues come to mind:

You're creating a manual-clean area. Most pools have them to some degree: steps, benches, sun decks, etc. So most of us have to do a little manual brushing. The question then becomes: how much are you going to be willing to do? How bad is your debris problem? Lots of leaves? Twigs? Bugs? Or none? Think that through.

Depending on what you're describing, you might be creating a tripping/stubbing problem. You can mark it, so people will see it. That's what those little tile insets are for on steps. But imagine: even a light wind, or people splashing around, will break up the surface enough to obscure what's under water. When that's a top step, no big deal. Three feet down and the bottom can be almost totally obscured. Plus, there's refraction. What you're seeing from above the water line is not exactly where it is. It'll be some inches away, the deeper it is, the farther away it'll be from what you think you're looking at. Add to that a little libation, some water or sun in the eyes, and "Doh!" there goes your guest's big toe! I'm not sure how far fetched that is, but I think it's entirely possible. People expect steps to be where they usually are. A big underwater shelf three feet down across the middle of a swimming pool... not so much.

I keep coming back to the same thing. There are legitimate reasons you really want to have something permanent and necessary in your pool. Like steps. And lesser reasons for less than necessary things: like benches. Farther down the list (for me) are sun decks. (I just don't get 'em.) All these things encroach on where you can play and swim. And what your cleaner can reach. All trade offs. Are they worth it? For me, personally, a permanent table would be way down the list, even though I can imagine how cool that would be (once in a while). But it sounds like my family and I use a pool differently than what you might be wanting to do with yours. My kids would be jumping off that thing and thrashing and spilling anything I put on it. And maybe you're OK with a little extra brushing of your pool. Maybe you'll get better use out of that area of your pool by sitting at a table in it instead of swimming in it. That's totally cool. That's the great thing about designing your own pool, you can have it your way. Oh, and I should point out, I have a fairly small pool, I couldn't afford the real estate. If you're building a giant pool, then yah, table, benches, beaches, sky's the limit!

But I'll throw one more idea at'cha. The Sunroof Paradox! (I just made that up, but I'm hoping it'll catch on.) For decades I pined for a sunroof in my car. Reeeeally wanted one. Thought it would be fantastic. Wind in my hair. Sun in my face. Fantastic!! For one reason or another, it just never happened. Until... my latest car, I could finally afford to order one new, custom. First on the list: a sunroof! Finally, fulfilled! I've used it twice. Hated it both times. Wind in my face. Sun in my eyes. Over it. Point is, something might sound like a great idea, until reality intervenes. For me, the sunroof realization was not a biggie, I closed it, drew the shade, never been an issue since. But a permanent fixture in a pool's plaster is something else. So I'm not trying to talk you out of your table, at all, just trying to talk you into leaving yourself a way out should you later realize it's not worth the possible negatives myself and others have been describing. I think you can have both: the table you want, but without compromising the floor of your pool so much that you're stuck with this decision forever, if it later loses its appeal...

I have to address one of your statements..........The only way you could be called a "fool" is by NOT asking questions! How are you going to learn or know what to look for and think about if you don't ask questions.

You have asked and been answered. You will be able to make an informed choice. We will support you which ever way you go! :hug:

Kim:kim:

Oops, just had another thought. You could conceivably restrict the cleaner another way (instead of the lip/step idea), though I'm not certain this would work. Might depend on the type of cleaner. By placing the port in the right place, and adjusting the length of the hose or cable, you could limit the area that the cleaner could reach. Like a dog on a leash. Table at one end. Cleaner stops just short of the pedestal. No tangles. What I'm not sure about, is if the cleaner would actually stop and turn around, or if it would stretch out and topple itself over and get stuck. Others here might know...

That doesn't solve for some of the other issues, though. You'd still have the manual-clean area.

Hoses come in sections. You could shorten the hose for "table season" and lengthen the hose when the table was removed... Again, not 100% on whether it would actually work that way. You could try it out easily enough if you know someone with a pool and a vac.

Oops, just had another thought. You could conceivably restrict the cleaner another way (instead of the lip/step idea), though I'm not certain this would work. Might depend on the type of cleaner. By placing the port in the right place, and adjusting the length of the hose or cable, you could limit the area that the cleaner could reach. Like a dog on a leash. Table at one end. Cleaner stops just short of the pedestal. No tangles. What I'm not sure about, is if the cleaner would actually stop and turn around, or if it would stretch out and topple itself over and get stuck. Others here might know...

That doesn't solve for some of the other issues, though. You'd still have the manual-clean area.

Hoses come in sections. You could shorten the hose for "table season" and lengthen the hose when the table was removed... Again, not 100% on whether it would actually work that way. You could try it out easily enough if you know someone with a pool and a vac.

Thanks.

We bought a house with a pool/spa and it has a poured gunite table in the spa with a water fountain shooting up fr the middle. We use the spa a lot in the colder months and enjoy the table (convenient for drinks) and in summer months pretty water feature

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.