Building soon in Katy, Texas - Your comments please

May 7, 2014
katy. tx
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hi, new build soon in the west Houston area. I'm looking for advice and recommendations on everything from design to builder to equipment.

Plan is to build in October/November of this year.

124ft perimeter, 40x14 pool with tanning ledge and 7X7 spa, spa at same level as pool with 4" higher water level.

See attached pdf, all my own work :)

Attachments

• pool pdf 07-16-19.pdf
    469.9 KB · Views: 141
NICE! I love the benches and such! The only thing I would change is the bench at the very end of the pool. I would put it on the other side instead of the end. The reason is it is in the way of the "swim lane". If someone is doing a crawl stroke they may hit their hand/arm on the bench where it is.

Kim:kim:

Reactions: ibreslin
As a fellow Houstonian (Sugar Land) id highly recommend following:
1. SWG. Not even a question in my mind. Don’t let builder talk u out of it and they will
2. Chiller. My pool was at 92 def last week before I turned Chiller on. Freaking bath tub. Now it’s 83
3. Travertine decking. It’s too hot for anything else in summer. It does not get hot and u can walk on it with no issues.
4 Automation. Automation. Automation. Another no brainer

We used Maddox Custom Pools in Rosenberg. They r awesome. No subcontractors. All employees of Maddox.

NICE! I love the benches and such! The only thing I would change is the bench at the very end of the pool. I would put it on the other side instead of the end. The reason is it is in the way of the "swim lane". If someone is doing a crawl stroke they may hit their hand/arm on the bench where it is.

Kim:kim:

good point, end bench is gone!

One thing to consider is that spa area. I live in DFW, and really wish we didn't have one, instead I would have liked the extra pool space. In the summer it's too hot, and in the winter it takes too long to warm up with no cover to retain heat, plus with the way our plumbing is run, we can't keep it on an isolated loop. Also the heater is an added equipment expense and has caused me to drain my propane tank twice (big $$). On top of all of that, it's just not that comfortable to sit in. Just my 2 cents.

1. SWG. Not even a question in my mind. Don’t let builder talk u out of it and they will
2. Chiller. My pool was at 92 def last week before I turned Chiller on. Freaking bath tub. Now it’s 83
3. Travertine decking. It’s too hot for anything else in summer. It does not get hot and u can walk on it with no issues.

We used Maddox Custom Pools in Rosenberg. They r awesome. No subcontractors. All employees of Maddox.

thanks, right this swg stuff, last home (also katy) had a swg and yes it worked fine but most friends and neighbors have chlorine tab feeder. what's the big deal?

so not cooldeck or the like? will have 1100 sq ft of decking and that much travertine will render me homeless. :)

chiller huh? hadn't considered it but will defo look to factor it in, I remember what late summer was like in the old pool.

will defo contact Maddox, had never heard of them, thanks for the recommendation.

Chlorine Tabs add CYA, which can quickly get out of control unless you are doing frequent water replacements. Liquid chlorine (bleach) or SWG is the only way to go. SWG adds chlorine also, just in a different way.

One thing to consider is that spa area. I live in DFW, and really wish we didn't have one, instead I would have liked the extra pool space. In the summer it's too hot, and in the winter it takes too long to warm up with no cover to retain heat, plus with the way our plumbing is run, we can't keep it on an isolated loop. Also the heater is an added equipment expense and has caused me to drain my propane tank twice (big $$). On top of all of that, it's just not that comfortable to sit in. Just my 2 cents.

loved my spa in the last home, was in there more than the pool :) natural gas piped right to the heater so don't have the propane issue.

Nice looking pool. Are you adding a spot for umbrellas in/around the tanning ledge? It looks like your house will shade it for the evening, but you might want something that will give you a mid-day shade option.

Nice looking pool. Are you adding a spot for umbrellas in/around the tanning ledge? It looks like your house will shade it for the evening, but you might want something that will give you a mid-day shade option.

Yeah going to place few umbrella sleeves around the place.

Was wondering about sail shades and the support poles for those. Are umbrella sleeves sufficient to handle those with some of the winds we get around here?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
noted on the sail shade supports.

ok, so no more end bench, and new central bench on far side.

tanning ledge now 6" with direct step in from coping as I was told steps at 2" deep were hazard. some other refinements on the back of that tanning ledge change.

what about waterline? spa will not be raised and I still want the water level to be 4" minimum higher than the pool, that leaves spa waterline 4" below coping and pool 8". first step onto 6" deep tanning ledge @ 14". Sound OK?

Attachments

• pool pdf 07-18-19.pdf
    377.5 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:

On the chiller, I see piping connections @ 1.5" on the models sized for my pool (Glacier ice block)

So I'm guessing the chiller would be on a bypass and run thru only two of the pool returns? could you run it thru the cleaner port (with no cleaner attached) and/or other water features vs the main pool returns? limited info on flow rate required.

Red neck option looks doable :)

Last edited:
Nice layout. Something to consider on your spa is the distance between the seat(s) and jets. I'm 6'4" and my wife is 5'9" so we had the PB make different seat levels so the jets would be at correct location for each of us without having to slump down or have water above your neck. A neck roll is nice as well for the spa wall.

Nice layout. Something to consider on your spa is the distance between the seat(s) and jets. I'm 6'4" and my wife is 5'9" so we had the PB make different seat levels so the jets would be at correct location for each of us without having to slump down or have water above your neck. A neck roll is nice as well for the spa wall.

6'-3 and 5'4" here so probably even more relevant, what depths did you end up making the benches?

So we’re down to a final five on the pool builders. :)

Any comments on these five?

1. O’Leary
2. WetPools
3. Sahara
4. Custom Outdoors
5. Waterside Poolscapes

Mod note: Please take any opinions to PM. Thank you

Last edited by a moderator:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.