Building on my own, need suggestions....DIGGING STARTED!!!!

ma23peas,

rescape the yard so no drainage or very little would come towards pool
This caught my eye. As you establish the elevation for your pool, be sure absolutely no water can drain towards the pool or decking.

I'm pretty sure you know that but the "very little" got my attention. Even if you have to bring in some fill, that is a better choice than water running towards the pool.

If you're on a slope and it cannot be helped, provide for an adequate "gutter" to carry the water away from the decking.

Poolwithlines.jpg

I drew a simple line and X to show where the pool equipment will sit...any way to confirm which size PVC I need...do I really need 2.5 on return or can I use 2" on it all?? Thanks!!

Tara

duraleigh said:
rescape the yard so no drainage or very little would come towards pool
This caught my eye. As you establish the elevation for your pool, be sure absolutely no water can drain towards the pool or decking.

If you're on a slope and it cannot be helped, provide for an adequate "gutter" to carry the water away from the decking.

the pasture area sitting above the pool is about a 3 inch rise and about 50 feet up from the pool, so that is 3 inches in 50'...it could be 2"...but no more than 3 for sure...if I move the fence back by 5' the plan was to regrade that land to create a swell that would lead the water into the side pasture away from the pool, the side pasture sits easily 1 foot below the pool...on the house, I am redoing my gutter by digging a 12" run...oh, shoot, I just remember my septic tank sits there...

Okay, I see a problem, my septic tank has the fitting coming from the house and will sit about 13" under the top of my pavers...with 4" of crusher run and 1" sand and 2.5 inch pavers...that does not leave much room for me to bury my drainage pipe for my gutter...I plan on using polymeric sand as filler on my pavers, my pavers on the house side will definitely sit below the pool and should run out the other side of the yard as we're grading a gradual slope that way...sorry I'm talking this out in my head! Any suggestions on how to run this pipe from the gutter?

Thanks!!
Tara

Hey!

got a message from my pool contractor, The 1 1/2" is for the Polaris. Also the return main line is 2" with 1 1/2"
"T" into the pool. All suctions are 2"...does that sound right, anything I should consider to make the equipment more efficient?? I know things change and I tried to read pool school on pumps but even though I took 2 years of Calculus, I still couldn't figure out what I needed to know! :)

Thanks!
Tara

2" is fine as long as you have separate suction line runs from each skimmer and/or main drain pair directly to the pad. Don't let him splice the suction lines and bring back only one line. You want suction head to be much less than the return head.

Yes! There are two skimmers....so far it's looking good, dig on Tuesday, rebar today and plumbing tomorrow!! Told ya you'd miss something if you snoozed! :) Gunite on Tuesday!

DSC00578.jpg

Thanks for all your help and tips, it's keeping me sane through this whirlwind project!!!!

Tara

Hey there, looks great so far. I like the steel work it looks good from the picture. The only suggestion i have is to definitely use 2" lines on the suction side and even run a 3" trunk line between drains for safety. An earlier poster said to not let any water drain into the pool from the deck, i couldn't agree more. You should have at least 1/8" per foot of pitch away from your pool on the deck.

That's a lot of pool, have fun with the project.

I'm wondering how to best handle the pitch at the south side of the pool (away from the house) Right now I have a farm fence that sits about 1-2" higher than the height of the rebar....I could

1. (don't wanna) move the fence back 5'...regrade and have a swell that empties into the Western pasture (deep end)...it sits about a foot lower than the pool..it'd mean moving the well pump as well....

2. leave the fence there, regrade on the backside of the fence to create that swell...and use some kind of stone to build up that wall on that side??

3. Put in a french type drain and cover with stone....I'll try and show shots of the pasture to give you ideas...

DSC00591.jpg

DSC00593.jpg

DSC00594.jpg

Any tips/suggestions appreciated!

Tara

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
PoolGuyNJ said:
With the bond covering the rebar, mortar, then coping, I'll bet you have just enough elevation to pitch the concrete deck towards the fence.

Scott

That's my hope!!! Clicking my heels "There's no place like properly directed water, there's no place like properly directed water..." Wondertwin powers activate! Form of berm!! If it were only that easy!! Thanks!
Tara

ma23peas said:
Inspection tomorrow, weatherman forgot to tell us we'd have snow! :)

DSC00606.jpg

We're in Alabama where we rarely see it, nice it wasn't rain! :)
Tara

Don't worry Tara, it'll be some nice high quality mud as soon as the front passes, LOL!!!

My suggestion is to build a short retaining wall in back if you have water coming down from a pasture towards the pool deck.

Congrats on the new pool.

See ya,
Kelly

Scott, I went out and double checked..with the coping height it will sit a bit above the units...there is dirt piled up against it and the angle was hard to tell...I put a 10 foot PVC pipe on both and giving less than 2 inches on the pool side makes the level slope to the house from the pool....there is only 6' between the pool and units so it's about 1/4" to 1/2" higher on the pool side...it'll be clearer when we get the holes filled where the plumbing goes...and work on the decking area...

I so appreciate your help!!
Tara

Wow! We're finally moving after all the rain! Fixed the plumbing/electrical (almost, long story, the plumbers restored the water from the well pump but did not connect one of the outside faucets..gotta call them back) electrical is good! Coping/tile was done about 3 weeks ago, this past week we got the pavers put in!! Now I'm trying to move dirt and fill in the beds around the pavers...I'm undecided about the best approach to the farside of the pool, initially I had planned to just put 10 Hameln grasses along the 40x2' strip before I hit fence line...but I ended up with a pallet and a half of the bergerac pavers left over, I'm wondering if that is enought to build a short wall along that side...hmmmm....here's what we got so far..

DSC01706.jpg

DSC01704.jpg

And here is the raised patio that I plan on putting 4 columns on and securing a pergola for shade next year, if I can pull it off it'll be a summer project this year, but I think I have my hands full right now..

DSC01707.jpg

Daughter thinks it's a perfect stage to practice her Irish dancing! :)

I put in the french drain that ties into my new downspouts to handle the rain hitting this portion...I do NOT like cutting schedule 40 with a little hand saw..but it's done...would love any input on what's best on that back portion, I have enough limestone sand and crusher run to fill it in/put plants/make a wall?? EEk! I have to say, I don't mind doing some of this myself because I've had amazing crews help with the major stuff!! They are worth their weight in gold!! :)

Thanks!
Tara

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.