Building a tent-like cover for my in-ground pool to reduce leaves

Aug 6, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
I am in Phoenix, AZ. And my yard and my neighbor's yard have tall trees that shed leaves in summer like crazy. It will fully clog up my skimmer overnight and I had one pump died partially because of it.

I am looking for DIY options for covering that can catch leaves. I looked up traditional pool covers for my size of ~20x40ft and they are over $100, where as a heavy duty tarp is about $50. I also see some bird nets for koi ponds, but I'm not sure if they are good at catching leaves.

Anyone have experience building something like this? Is it a bad idea?

I am in Phoenix, AZ. And my yard and my neighbor's yard have tall trees that shed leaves in summer like crazy. It will fully clog up my skimmer overnight and I had one pump died partially because of it.

I am looking for DIY options for covering that can catch leaves. I looked up traditional pool covers for my size of ~20x40ft and they are over $100, where as a heavy duty tarp is about $50. I also see some bird nets for koi ponds, but I'm not sure if they are good at catching leaves.

Anyone have experience building something like this? Is it a bad idea?
I bought one of these. Works pretty well at keeping pine needles out for me. Still have to get the stuff out of the pool, but I have a skimmer robot for that.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.