Building a new pool

jodyliebing

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 14, 2012
Auburn Indiana
Hello Everyone, so excited to be back on the forum. I have been a member since 2014. I woke up one day to a green pool and found this forum, So many of you helped me until we figured it out!!! I never went back to the pool store again!! Well, we sold our house 4 years ago along with the pool. Building starts today on my new pool!!!! Its been awhile and I want to start out on the right track. My main issue before was my CYA way too high. So here is my question, I know they are going to give me a supply of shock which I would like to use just so not to waste. I don't want to add stabilizer until the shock is gone and I switch to liquid chlorine. Is there any harm in not adding stabilizer to my new pool for a bit? Any other advise on adding chemicals to a new fill would be greatly appreciated!!

I would not follow your idea. CYA will be added too slowly increasing your chlorine usage and reducing overall water quality. You are spending $60k plus on a new pool dumping $100 in "shock" is trivial. Not all "shock" has CYA though what is it? The stuff has a long shelf life you could also just use it in case of emergencies. Are you going saltwater? Also can you put your location on your details? Is your sigline the new pool?

I would not follow your idea. CYA will be added too slowly increasing your chlorine usage and reducing overall water quality. You are spending $60k plus on a new pool dumping $100 in "shock" is trivial. Not all "shock" has CYA though what is it? The stuff has a long shelf life you could also just use it in case of emergencies. Are you going saltwater? Also can you put your location on your details? Is your sigline the new pool?
Yes, very true! I will have to update my info. Not saltwater, Its a 15x30 6 1/2 ft deep end vinyl liner auto cover, not sure on gallons it holds. So you are saying go ahead and add stabilizer?

Yes, very true! I will have to update my info. Not saltwater, Its a 15x30 6 1/2 ft deep end vinyl liner auto cover, not sure on gallons it holds. So you are saying go ahead and add stabilizer?

For sure I would recommend balancing your water per TFP guidelines.

the autocover is really going to reduce your chemical use. its going to be more similar to an indoor pool with the lack of sun assuming you keep pool covered when not in use. you may want to consider a heat pump that can cool the water too. my pool gets up into high 90's due to cover and full sun and volumn on low side for surface area.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
the autocover is really going to reduce your chemical use. its going to be more similar to an indoor pool with the lack of sun assuming you keep pool covered when not in use. you may want to consider a heat pump that can cool the water too. my pool gets up into high 90's due to cover and full sun and volumn on low side for surface area.
Gosh, cant imagine actually cooling the pool! It does make sense though. my builder said it 11,500 gallons.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.