Building 16x32 Pool, no jets, no heat. Just the pool. 7.5 feet deep...Will Variable pump benefit me ?

gdog2004

Jul 19, 2011
Lehigh Valley, PA
Hey guys:
I ordered a 16x32 pool that is 7.5 on the deep end. It comes with an Heyward max flo SP2310X15. My pool sales guy thinks Variable pumps would not be useful in my situation(not sure if I agree) being I do not have any extras, but I was thinking maybe a 2 speed pump will be of use to me and save me some cash. I am in Tri state area and plan to use the pool 4-5 months of the year. I had a two speed pump with my last above ground pool and I am assuming it saved me money ( it is all I ever had so nothing to compare it to). Can someone recommend a 2 speed Hayward pump that will suffice in my situation ? or make a case for a variable ? TY in advance.

G

I would say the one you show in your signature would be fine. A 1 hp 2 speed.

I assume you will NOT have a SWCG. Nor a suction side pool cleaner.

Sure. You are just circulating the water. You do not need that much hp to do that. Sounds like all you are going to do is skim and circulate in your chemicals when you add them.

What filter type do you plan to use?

A VSP would not save you any money over the 2 speed one. But IMO, there is more to enjoying a VSP than just the cost of electricity. Here are a few of the things I like about mine.

• High Speed - Mixes Chemicals very quickly
  • High Speed also can skim stuff off the top of the water quickly. I dont give lawnmower clippings a second thought. Whatever gets in the pool is skimmed out in 10 minutes.
  • Built in Freeze Protection
    Built in Programmable Scheduler
  • Noise - What noise? Its deathly quiet at normal operating speeds. Even on high speed its not anywhere near as loud as even a 1HP non vsp pump.
  • Current/ Ambience - I dont know about anyone else, but part of my pool enjoyment is seeing the current of the water, especially at night. Its nice to be able to speed it up or slow it down to suit me if I want to and I do that quite often.

FUN - The young ones LOVE playing in the high flow of the water coming from the returns. And I dont blame them one bit! It feels great !!!

To me, those things have intrinsic value and Im beyond happy with my pump.

Reactions: MyAZPool
Sure. You are just circulating the water. You do not need that much hp to do that. Sounds like all you are going to do is skim and circulate in your chemicals when you add them.

What filter type do you plan to use?
Looking like a S244T. Unfortunately I do not have much flexibility in changing my filter/pump. I mentioned it to the pool store today and they gave me an insane price to switch to even a 2 speed. They don't seem to believe in the benefit of a 2 speed or variable pump saying that the low speed of a two speed will not be enough to turn over the water and that an inground pools needs is much greater than a above ground (whatever that means). I suspect that this is just how they do it and are comfortable with it(and maybe they have a surplus of a specific filter) so if I want to change it down the road I will do it myself and just sell the one they give me. They mentioned i would have to change the fittings and blah blah but I am not sure any of that is valid.
I am sure there are more knowledgeable pool stores to work with but they had great pricing and did a few pools of people we personally know.
I will probably just buy a 2 speed myself and install (or maybe variable as long as I can install it myself).

A VSP would not save you any money over the 2 speed one. But IMO, there is more to enjoying a VSP than just the cost of electricity. Here are a few of the things I like about mine.

• High Speed - Mixes Chemicals very quickly
  • High Speed also can skim stuff off the top of the water quickly. I dont give lawnmower clippings a second thought. Whatever gets in the pool is skimmed out in 10 minutes.
  • Built in Freeze Protection
    Built in Programmable Scheduler
  • Noise - What noise? Its deathly quiet at normal operating speeds. Even on high speed its not anywhere near as loud as even a 1HP non vsp pump.
  • Current/ Ambience - I dont know about anyone else, but part of my pool enjoyment is seeing the current of the water, especially at night. Its nice to be able to speed it up or slow it down to suit me if I want to and I do that quite often.

FUN - The young ones LOVE playing in the high flow of the water coming from the returns. And I dont blame them one bit! It feels great !!!

To me, those things have intrinsic value and Im beyond happy with my pump.
Thanks Dave. I will consider that when I upgrade. Is it difficult to upgrade ? Isn't it just connecting 2 pipes one to the skimmer and one to the filter and you need to plug in the pump ? My power company only gives me 150.00 rebate on variable unfortunately but it said I have to have a licensed professional install it...not sure what that is about. I would think I can do it myself.

Turnover is a myth. Your pool water chemistry keeps your pool water clear. Only need enough to mix the chemicals, which disperse rapidly in water.

You will want a 2 speed no matter what you do. A single speed is expensive to run and loud.

gdog, yeah the VSP is very easy to do. A pvc pipe in, another out, and electrical power and dont forget to connect the bonding wire. You dont "plug in" the VSP. You run the wire from your swtich or breaker to the terminal box on the pump and connect it that way. Its easy stuff tho.

If you go with a 2 speed, understand that the switch might be included, or it might not be. Dont automatically assume anything. You have to understand the part numbers and what you're getting. Unless you have a controller I recommend getting one with the switch installed on it already.

The pump without the switch is for people who have automatic controllers with relays and stuff like that to turn the pump on and off automatically.

as for the pool store stuff, take little note of what they might tell you about turnover and chemistry. They are way too far behind the times to even remotely be relevant. TFP is the answer!

And as for their prices, well, thats what those folks do for a living and how they make their money...... so yeah... its gonna be pricey and they might tell you things that arent necessarily true to sell their goods and services to you.

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.