Builder Spec'd UV/Ozone Sterilizer

mummer43

Jul 31, 2016
Lehigh Valley, PA
We just got a quote from our pool builder and he lists a Paramount Ultra UV2 Ozone/UV Sterilizer in the specs. Is this something that I definitely need? He doesn't break everything down so I have have no idea how much this adds to the cost.

Definitely not necessary. As you can see from my signature, I purchased both from my PB. They were installed, and within a month or two, I removed them both. The ozone is a constant suction side leak, as it draws air across the lamp, and the UV eats up the chlorine that I am trying to keep in my pool. So I had to have my SWCG higher than necessary.

Regarding cost, for my PB, it was a $1000 option for both. Which is why I went with them, I figured it wasn't that much, in the grand scheme of things. I just did not do enough research ahead of time. I definitely had not found TFP at that time.

--Jeff

Neither necessary nor desirable. For a residential pool the supplemental oxidation and sanitation is wasted and can even be detrimental to the longevity of the chlorine in your water.

Most (but not all) builders push these because they require ongoing purchases of replacement parts. They either get the units heavily discounted from retailers who are hoping to build a new sales stream, or they themselves sell the replacement parts. Even if there is no ulterior motive, there's no reason to install one of these in an outdoor residential pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.