"Build COMPLETE!"-Central FL pool build

Re: *Build Underway* - Central FL Pool Build

Thanks Kim. Have been running spillway and bubblers all day and will test PH again tomorrow. I thought it was low when I tested today. I will bring up the plaster spot with the PB and see what he says.

Foosman - We love the size of the shelf! We can fit 3 chairs comfortably and can even put a lounger in lengthwise. The PB originally had it at 12' but we scaled it back after measuring it out in our yard. It seemed a bit too large for the size of our pool.

Thanks for asking Brian. Water is crystal clear now :) I've been testing daily along with the PB and everything seems to be in line. I would highly recommend to brush your plaster even if they acid wash. PB said I didn't need to brush with an acid wash, but I still have plaster dust 2 weeks after the fill!

The wife is extremely pleased with the water color. She was shooting for a turquoise color to match the tile line, but was having trouble finding pics online of our finish. She plans on posting a separate thread on the pebble finish to help any future TFP members see how a light grey pebble comes out.

PB said we should complete all punch list items and all final inspections this week. They still have to add the spa bubbler pipe and add a grey umbrella cap.

I can't believe the build is over! So many hours of researching and planning and finally seeing everything come together, just as we've planned, is a great feeling. Only wish it was spring or summer time to actually be able to jump in without freezing to death :) We plan on testing the heater later this week for Thanksgiving. Cold front should be leaving tomorrow to give us 75-80 degrees to pull some nice heat from. I'll report back how it went.

Here are pics from today and a night shot of the Bulbwizard LED's.

DSC_0043.jpg

DSC_0042.jpg

DSC_0040.jpg

640ef3d3-c93b-499f-a941-2a983fe80f48.jpg

DSC_0048.jpg

That IS an awesome water color!!!!

Nice to hear their testing is matching yours.

Thanks for sharing about the need to brush even if the PB says you do not need to. How much better will your plaster look over someone who did not brush.

Kim:kim:

I love the water color! If you wanted it to match your spa tile, you got it! It's near perfect! The lights get great coverage too. Are the both centered?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: *Build Complete* - Central FL Pool Build

Yes, the two pool lights are centered and look to be the same height as well. I kinda wish the shallow end light (left handside) was a foot higher to light up the shelf a bit more, but I'm nit picking. I'm really glad we went with two lights in the pool. Many PB's quoted and said I only needed one light, but the PB I went with strongly suggested two. It was an easy decision from what I've learned here.

We love the size of the shelf! We can fit 3 chairs comfortably and can even put a lounger in lengthwise. The PB originally had it at 12' but we scaled it back after measuring it out in our yard. It seemed a bit too large for the size of our pool.
Thanks, we enlarged ours to 5' x 10' and it's been laid out in the yard...looks like a good size. Our pool will be 15' x 30'.

Spent most of the Thanksgiving break in the pool (after a few days of heating :) and are really happy with the shelf size. Two bubblers and an umbrella holder fit perfectly. My kids love it, especially my 16 mos old when I really crank the bubblers.

One suggestion I'd give you is see if the PB plans on having a return somewhere on the shelf. My PB added a smaller sized return on the right side of the shelf to push water and debris across the length of the shelf. It must be working since I haven't seen dirt or debris on the shelf since we've filled it with water.

Thanks, we enlarged ours to 5' x 10' and it's been laid out in the yard...looks like a good size. Our pool will be 15' x 30'.

One suggestion I'd give you is see if the PB plans on having a return somewhere on the shelf. My PB added a smaller sized return on the right side of the shelf to push water and debris across the length of the shelf. It must be working since I haven't seen dirt or debris on the shelf since we've filled it with water.
Glad you guys are enjoying the pool, it looks awesome. We broke ground today. I need to start a thread with some pics, 6-12" down and solid limestone. I had the same thought on the shelf regarding a return, as I've seen pools where crud collects on the shelf. It sounded like it might be tight to get a return in there as the water is only 6" deep...tell me more about "smaller sized return".

For what it is worth, we have a return on our plan for the shelf. We are also going 6-8" deep. I didn't ask for it, the PB included it. Once I see it plumbed, I'll share my setup as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Here is a pic of the shelf return right before they plastered. PB added a grey fitting to the pipe after the plaster. Not sure of the pvc size, but it's definitely smaller than the rest of the PVC returns. I have more pictures of the pipe during plumbing stage if you'd like to see how it's plumbed into the rest of the return lines.

Make sure the return is set low, near the floor, as it will churn the water a good amount when my water level is low.

20161101_170547.jpg

Looks like you have a ~9" depth (ledge to coping) and that is a 1.5" pipe...seems like plenty of room. I need to double check on the depth of our ledge...I would imagine the normal water level sits about mid-tile and results in a depth around 6" in your pool which is exactly what we are after.

I noticed 4 pipe connections on the bottom of your spa. I would expect 2 to be connected together for the drain, but curious what the other 2 are for? Is one for the spa fill/overflow?

Hi Foos,

3 pipes are going to channel drain. It's funny since I didn't even notice they plumbed the middle connection, until you mentioned it. Not sure of the reason for the middle pipe. Here is a link to the type of drain they used in the spa and pool

AquaStar 32 Channel Anti-Entrapment Suction Outlet | 32CDPH101

I just have 1 return/bubbler in the spa.
When the spa is in spill over mode is the water coming up through the return in the floor? Sorry for all the questions, but we have a similar setup but with an 8' spill over and I'm worried about the needed flow to produce a nice waterfall.

No problem. Ask away! :)

The Jandy automation spill-over mode returns all the water (from the pool/spa) through my jets. I can also manually adjust the flow to just the spa return (without bubbler pipe) and get a full sheet of water over the spillway.

The PB plumbed 3'' pvc for both the spa return and the drain.

Let me know if you need any info, details. Happy to help.

- Alex

No problem. Ask away! :)

The Jandy automation spill-over mode returns all the water (from the pool/spa) through my jets. I can also manually adjust the flow to just the spa return (without bubbler pipe) and get a full sheet of water over the spillway.

The PB plumbed 3'' pvc for both the spa return and the drain.

Let me know if you need any info, details. Happy to help.

- Alex
Ahh, the part I was missing is there is a water feature in the spa (bubbler pipe attachment) and that accounts for the additional pipe/plumbing. I was thinking that pipe was being used for spill over mode, although it sounds like it could. We won't have a spa bubbler and I need to discuss with the plumber how we are going to get 80 GPM thru 6 spa jets to give a nice spillover...I am thinking we may need 8 jets or an additional return line.

I'd recommend a dedicated return line to the spa, this way you won't have to run the jets for the spill over. I also use the spa return line to heat the spa quicker, without the aeration of the jets, with my heat pump. The spa return is finished with a threaded fitting where I can screw in the bubbler attachment (pvc pipe with eye ball fitting). To be honest, I rarely have the spa bubbler attached as it limits the water flow to the spa and is annoying to move around a big pvc pipe when you're in the spa.

Ahh, the part I was missing is there is a water feature in the spa (bubbler pipe attachment) and that accounts for the additional pipe/plumbing. I was thinking that pipe was being used for spill over mode, although it sounds like it could. We won't have a spa bubbler and I need to discuss with the plumber how we are going to get 80 GPM thru 6 spa jets to give a nice spillover...I am thinking we may need 8 jets or an additional return line.

I'd recommend a dedicated return line to the spa, this way you won't have to run the jets for the spill over. I also use the spa return line to heat the spa quicker, without the aeration of the jets, with my heat pump. The spa return is finished with a threaded fitting where I can screw in the bubbler attachment (pvc pipe with eye ball fitting). To be honest, I rarely have the spa bubbler attached as it limits the water flow to the spa and is annoying to move around a big pvc pipe when you're in the spa.
I spoke with the plumber today and we reached the same conclusion. There will be a dedicated return line to the spa.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.