"Build COMPLETE!"-Central FL pool build

Re: *Build Underway* - Central FL Pool Build

SO much pretty work done! Yeah it does seem as if it would cost him more in labor cutting it so close that he runs out all of the time......there are many things about construction work that seems wrong but they keep doing it!

Kim:kim:

Re: *Build Underway:plaster Done!* - Central FL Pool Build

We got plastered this week! Mini Pebble applied on Tuesday morning, Acid Wash this morning and started the fill right after at 11am. Overall we're happy with the plaster job. Only complaint is a bumpy area where they used small platforms to finish the step area. As they plaster was drying, they weren't able to trowel the floor completely smooth. Hoping, I won't notice it too much when in the pool.

The sparkle from the abalone shells make up for this minor imperfection :) Again, very glad we were there for plaster day. Confirmed color off the truck and asked about the abalone shells. Crew said they "had it in the mix already" and weren't going to hand cast it at the end. Politely told them I preferred it to be hand cast and spoke with the foreman about it once he showed up. End result was a generous amount being hand cast all over the shelf, floor, steps and spa. Looks awesome and have to thank TFP for learning about shells. As has been mentioned before, pics don't do the sparkle justice. Have to see it in person to really appreciate the effect.

Pool builder is supposed to come by tomorrow for start up. Will take note of what they use and have the TF-100 kit ready to test as soon as it's filled tomorrow.

Here are the pics:

20161108_100557.jpg

Plaster pre-acid wash:

DSC_0324.jpg

DSC_0327.jpg

20161109_110904.jpg

20161109_113103.jpg

20161109_174815.jpg

Nice job! Looks like you have awesome water pressure for it to fill that fast! I wish they had put the hoses IN the pool instead of having it come down like that. That is just the worry wort in me.

Glad you were THERE to check the color and on the shells. There is no way the shells will show up as good if it is mixed in the plaster. Hand casting is the way to go for sure!

Yes, step works great! We originally didn't have a step in the plan and adding it last minute during the gunite shoot. Very happy we did, since it is much easier to get in as opposed to sitting on the coping and pivoting in. We asked to make it small so it won't take up too much sitting space. Other option is to have a triangle step, but that would have intruded in the sitting space for the nearest jets.

Builder came in this morning for full startup and fired up the equipment. Extremely pleased with the spa spillover! Pics below. We were very worried it would be a small trickle with a 6.5 ft spillway, but to our surprise the water cascades over in a full sheet. Overall very happy with the build and glad to see it with water after 3 months of looking at a concrete hole. :)

20161110_140926.jpg

20161110_140953.jpg

20161110_121404.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Only have one 1.5hp Jandy EPump running the whole pool! That's what had me worried about getting a decent waterfall, but the PB assured me they would get the water to sheet over the large spillway. Used 3'' plumbing for spa return and jets. The spillway feature (first two pics) directs all water flow to the spa. The last pic shows water flow split between bubblers and spa. Still get a decent flow over the spillway, just not as strong.

On another note, PB said brushing the new mini pebble wasn't necessary after the acid wash. Was still thinking I should do it anyway because of what I've read here.

Kim- I'll try to get some video of the spillway tomorrow ;)

Thanks again for all your help!

You cannot hurt it by brushing it..........better safe than sorry...........I would like for you to make note of when you do brush as to how much plaster dust or such you see when you do brush.....this will be a good thing to know for future builds.

I went back just to look at your pool again..........there is so much pretty there!!!! I bet you are loving it!

Thanks Marla!

Kim - Brushed the pool today and was pushing quite a bit of dust around. Also cleaned a bunch of pebbles and debris that was blown out from the pipes. Very glad I didn't take the PB word for it. :)

Grumpiebk - Sunshelf is 6'' to water line. PB installed the low profile bubbler with eye ball and it has plenty of pressure to go 3-6 feet in the air depending on how much flow I direct to them.

Broke out the TF-100 today to do some testing. Wondering if I need to retest TA since it seems way out of wack. Appreciate any opinions on the numbers. PB just added stabilizer yesterday, so didn't test for CYA yet.

CL 5 BR10
PH 7.5
TA 200
CH 150

Thanks!

Thanks for letting us know you DO need to brush it! I will use this info to help other builds!

Test your fill water's TA (and everything else except CYA for a baseline) and we will go from there.

Don't bother with the BR test as you do not have that.

Thanks Mark!

PB added some acid today and it looks like it moved the #'s around a bit. Please let me know if these figures look good for 1 week old plaster.

CL 5
PH 6.8
TA 100
CYA 40
CH 150

On another note, I did some inspection/diving this past weekend to check out the pebble finish. Everything looks great except one little spot near the drain. I tried to take a pic of the area but it was overcast so didn't turn out so good. It's the dime-sized white section in the pic of missing pebble. Can barely make it out from outside of the pool, but it's clearly a small divot in the plaster finish. Is this something I should be worried about, bring up to the PB? Want to make sure this won't become a larger problem down the road.

Of course what has my wheels spinning is this was the area where the plaster Co. laid the hoses to fill the pool. Not sure if it was that or maybe the build up of acid that was pooling up from the acid wash.

Appreciate any opinions.

thanks!

GOPR0488.jpg

Working getting that PH up to around 7.2 IF it is not there in the morning. You can turn your bubblers on and let them rip. That will push PH up as will the plaster as it cures. I would like to see your PH between 7.2 and 7.8.....when it gets to 7.8 push it down to 7.2 using muratic acid.

That spot........I bet it is where the end of the hose "hit" the brand new plaster :( Could you tell how deep it was? I would bring it up to the PB just so he knows about it. Put it in writing so you have a copy as proof IF something comes of it. I don't think it will matter in the long run but......you never know.

We are about to start the build and our plan has a 8' x 5' sun shelf. I see your sun shelf is 10' x 5'. What are your thoughts on the size of your sun shelf? I'm thinking we may bump this up to 10' x 5'.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.