kateinvt

Gold Supporter
Jun 2, 2019
Vermont
Hello pool experts,
I am confounded with something floating on my pool surface. I assume they are bugs but don't see them move. It/they cover the surface of my pool and are too small to be caught in my skimmer basket and too small to be caught in my leaf skimmer and seem too light to be sucked into the filter system. I'm attaching photos of my hand covered with them after emptying the skimmer basket. Any ideas about what this is and how to get rid of it?

For context- This is our 4th summer with the house/pool, we replaced the vinyl liner last year. We're in the northeast. We have had a very wet summer, and alternating very hot and humid, with occasional cool and dry (for instance, this morning is dry and sunny and 60 degrees; yesterday morning was rainy and 75 degrees with daytime temps getting up to the low 90s. Also, our skies have been impacted by Forset fires in Canada, making them almost constantly hazy.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Attachments

• IMG_4254.JPG
    IMG_4254.JPG
    345.7 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_4255.JPG
    IMG_4255.JPG
    282.4 KB · Views: 25
The skimmer sock is your answer. If you're skimming the pool with the filter running doesn't work you may be upsetting the flow of water with the way the return jets are oriented. One other possibility is if the water level is higher the midway skimmer hight at time it'll affect skimming the water surface. You also may need to close down the main drain to 10% open if you have one giving more water management through the skimmer.

Last edited:
Those remind me of what i call grass bugs 🐜 (Obviously not the real name) try using a skimmer sock to capture them along with being sure your weir doors are functioning properly & water level is at 1/2 to 3/4 of the way up the skimmer opening for maximum skimming. Maybe also throw in a scum bug absorber or something for them to float on - they seem to attract little bugs like that- then u can help them make their way to their death in the skimmer. ☠️
Also i have noticed they are less frequent when I spray my yard with bifen more regularly & keep the grass low.

In the south we call them no see ums. They are thrips or midges. Thrips probably. They are teeny. They bite. They are miserable little bugs. They love the colors white and yellow. They live in grassy areas. They come for your water and to make you miserable.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.