SW Michigan
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hello,
New to pool ownership and TFP.
After about 9 weeks of trial and error we went from an inherited very very green pool to crystal clear water and perfect chemistry (could not be celebrating more!). However, we have maybe water bugs (or just bugs in water) and I'm wondering if it's because we live in a wooded area or if we have a problem.
We probably find 10-20 (dead, I think) bugs a day in the skimmer... never in the pool. We check the skimmer 2x daily and there's always a handful in there, again, we think dead.
Does this indicate something?
Thank you and happy fathers day to all fathers out there!

We probably find 10-20 (dead, I think) bugs a day in the skimmer... never in the pool. We check the skimmer 2x daily and there's always a handful in there, again, we think dead.
It indicates you are lucky that your bugs find their way to the skimmer. I wish more of mine would.

totally normal. critters are attracted to the water. I have dozens of bugs (crickets, spiders, beetles, moths, mosquitoes, etc.) every day. I'm also surrounded by lots of trees and woods. As mentioned above, if they're making it into the skimmer, you're doing good. :)

Reactions: Elwood5487
totally normal. critters are attracted to the water. I have dozens of bugs (crickets, spiders, beetles, moths, mosquitoes, etc.) every day. I'm also surrounded by lots of trees and woods. As mentioned above, if they're making it into the skimmer, you're doing good. :)
Can't tell you how much I appreciate the feedback. We've labored over this thing so much and it feels good to know we might finally be on the right track. Thanks again.

Hello,
New to pool ownership and TFP.
After about 9 weeks of trial and error we went from an inherited very very green pool to crystal clear water and perfect chemistry (could not be celebrating more!). However, we have maybe water bugs (or just bugs in water) and I'm wondering if it's because we live in a wooded area or if we have a problem.
Thank you and happy fathers day to all fathers out there!
I spray pesticide on my yard, around my cypress trees etc. To alleviate this exact issue.

If I don't do a yard treatment for more than a month. Than the bug issue returns.

What kind of bugs? Can you post a pic? Lots of stuff will fall in and get "skimmed" I fished a snake out of my pool today and sent him on his way. But some water bugs might need special attention if they make a home in your pool.
Of course no bugs this morning but will get a pic as soon as I see one. Thanks!
Where do you live? I seriously hope I never see a snake in my pool. Having enough trouble with the bugs.
How does one fish a snake out of a pool anyway? Maybe since I'm asking it'll confirm I never need to know!

Of course no bugs this morning but will get a pic as soon as I see one. Thanks!
Where do you live? I seriously hope I never see a snake in my pool. Having enough trouble with the bugs.
How does one fish a snake out of a pool anyway? Maybe since I'm asking it'll confirm I never need to know!
The reason I mention it is if you are skimming water bugs then you need to look for their eggs on the side of the pool and clean them off. I live in the Central Valley of Ca. in a semi rural area, so there are lots of critters around. The snake was a live baby garter snake and swimming around in the water. I just scooped him up with my skimmer net and deposited him in the garden area behind the pool. They help control rodents and insects.. its a good snake to have around.

Reactions: wildbill3081

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I spray pesticide on my yard, around my cypress trees etc. To alleviate this exact issue.

If I don't do a yard treatment for more than a month. Than the bug issue returns.

I try not to use too many chemicals in my lawn because we have deer, foxes, and rabbits that like to hang out around our house. I'm always concerned that if I put that stuff down, it could harm the wild life when they're munching on the grasses and clovers. Of course, everyone's situation is different. Before last autumn, when I lived in the burbs, I wouldn't hesitate to treat the lawn with chemicals.

The reason I mention it is if you are skimming water bugs then you need to look for their eggs on the side of the pool and clean them off. I live in the Central Valley of Ca. in a semi rural area, so there are lots of critters around. The snake was a live baby garter snake and swimming around in the water. I just scooped him up with my skimmer net and deposited him in the garden area behind the pool. They help control rodents and insects.. its a good snake to have around.
Here's the underbelly of one bug I scooped out today. I'm not sure if it's the one I see most often. As soon as I can get one of those (for sure) I'll send another update.
Also, I'm so so disturbed and disappointed that I am now certain I saw I believe one each of the water botman and backswimmer in the pool this evening. The pump was off for about 8 hours for the first time ever when the filter broke down. Went out to change the part, was skimming the pool, and that's when I saw them. My chemistry is 100%. This still means I have some algae lurking somewhere? I'm very type A with regards to things like this. I'll never be able to get in the pool unless I'm sure it's clean. Call me crazy, I know I know.
PS whichever one it was, this are fast little ********.

Attachments

• 2A58D53F-9BB9-489E-976B-091EB9DB9E74_1_201_a.jpeg
    2A58D53F-9BB9-489E-976B-091EB9DB9E74_1_201_a.jpeg
    206.9 KB · Views: 17
They will migrate in from other bodies of water, or other pools in the area. If given the chance they will lay eggs above the water line on the sides. You just need to brush them off and they will get filtered out. The bugs you just need to scoop them out and dump them far enough from the pool that they don't get back in.

Ok. Will give it a good brushing tomorrow if it does't rain. Thanks!
On a similar topic. Some instructional videos tell you in some cases to brush and manual vac and not to use a robot. Do you happen to know why? My robot cleans floor, walls, waterline. Isn't the point of that robot to eliminate you from having to vacuum? I know brushing is different, but is there ever a time (when in maintenance mode) would we need to manual vac?

It's been a busy week or two but, finally, here is a pic of the bugs I'm constantly removing from the skimmer. Assuming these are harmless but does anyone think differently? Also, I have seen one backswimmer and one water boatman but I know I should consider myself lucky there's only been one or two.

Attachments

• IMG_5646.jpeg
    IMG_5646.jpeg
    548.1 KB · Views: 25
I live in Florida. If I didn’t see a zillion bugs every day, I would wonder what happened.

No worries, it’s normal to have bugs floating in a pool that isn’t covered or inside a pool cage.

It's been a busy week or two but, finally, here is a pic of the bugs I'm constantly removing from the skimmer. Assuming these are harmless but does anyone think differently? Also, I have seen one backswimmer and one water boatman but I know I should consider myself lucky there's only been one or two.
Looks like ordinary harmless beetles.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.