bugs in my skimmer

mjc123

Well-known member
Jul 20, 2018
64
Halifax, NS (Canada)
Anyone else having issues with bugs in their skimmer? I use socks in my skimmer basket, and even one night is enough to have a fairly disgusting amount of millipedes, centipedes, spiders and sow/pill bugs stuck inside. So much so that there's been more than once where I ended up throwing the basket because something crawled onto my hand when I lifted it out to empty it *shudders at the thought*

Is this a common problem? or am I alone here/
 
  • Like
Reactions: borjis

Razorhog

Bronze Supporter
Jun 20, 2013
663
Northeast Arkansas
Not uncommon. I see a lot of spiders in there and I just know at least one of them is still alive and will burst into motion the second I pull the basket out of the water...happens almost every time. I've been getting a lot of earthworms in the pool due to all the rain we've had, but they sink to the bottom ;/
 
  • Like
Reactions: borjis

Divin Dave

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Oct 2, 2013
5,391
Longview, Texas
Spiders and June bugs for me. Tons and Tons of them.
And here is how to cure the fright of sticking your hand down in there. These will change your life.
 

Rocket J Squirrel

Bronze Supporter
Jun 7, 2018
385
Alamo, CA
Is there anyone who doesn't get bugs in the skimmer?

I also had tons of pill bugs in my spa every day despite having a pool cover. There is no skimmer in the spa, and of course the Polaris can't get in there, so there the bugs lay, at the bottom, requiring hand vacuuming each and every time I wanted to use the spa. Then one day, an exterminator knocked on my door looking for business. I gave them a try, and amazingly enough, no more pill bugs. I don't like poison much, but it made such a big difference, they now come quarterly and spray, and my bug load is way down.

There are a couple of gadgets available, the Skimmer Angel and the LIDZ Off. I wonder whether any folks here use them and like them?
 
Last edited:

Divin Dave

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Oct 2, 2013
5,391
Longview, Texas
I use the skimmer angel and absolutely love that thing. I totally recommend getting one unless you use skimmer socks. You can't use a skimmer angle with skimmer socks.

Is there anyone who doesn't get bugs in the skimmer?

I also had tons of pill bugs in my spa every day despite having a pool cover. There is no skimmer in the spa, and of course the Polaris can't get in there, so there the bugs lay, at the bottom, requiring hand vacuuming each and every time I wanted to use the spa. Then one day, an exterminator knocked on my door looking for business. I gave them a try, and amazingly enough, no more pill bugs. I don't like poison much, but it made such a big difference, they now come quarterly and spray, and my bug load is way down.

There are a couple of gadgets available, the Skimmer Angel and the LIDZ Off. I wonder whether any folks here use them and like them?
 

mjc123

Well-known member
Jul 20, 2018
64
Halifax, NS (Canada)

Divin Dave

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Oct 2, 2013
5,391
Longview, Texas
Those aquarium gloves are great. I use em when netting stuff out when the water is still cold . No more cold wet hands and cold pole . And I dont have to worry about being bit by a spider in the skimmer any more either. Ive been bitten by them twice.
 

the_sphynx

Active member
Feb 19, 2019
39
North San Diego County
I have been fighting a springtail infestation for about a month so pretty much every day after the pump stops, the skimmer basket (I use socks) is pretty much disgusting. 90% are dead but the remaining 10% of whatever critters I see some kicking around...good times. Definitely the worst about owning a pool is cleaning out the skimmer basket. Well, and occasionally having to toss the dead mouse/frog/whatever that is sitting at the bottom of the pool before the robot gets it.
 
Thread starter Other Threads of Interest Forum Replies Date
A Pumps, Filters, and Plumbing 1
colonelkirby Testing and Balancing Your Water 3
Ondonti Everything Else 1

Other Threads of Interest