Bug Identification, please?

Jul 19, 2015
Fort Worth, TX

(My apologies if I'm in the wrong place.) You can knock them in the water and they stay on the surface and swim back to the side. I guess they're some kind of backswimmer? I'll post testing results later after I've tested today but have applied 2 shock treatments and chlorine and keep scrubbing, though this is three days into a fresh, new fill of water. The other bugs are dying, like june bugs, flies, ants, moths. I've always had issues with pH, TA and CH. Add calcium hardness powder as directed and it always tests way too high and we end up having to refill pool. Add muriatic acid accordingly and it still never gets it just right. :\ Water's clear and smells good, though. Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
I know bugs mean the chemistry isn't right, but the liner alone makes it not need calcium? I'd love to follow that chart but that's beyond my expertise. I have a Taylor Technologies K-2006 testing kit that I think I'm using correctly but like I said, when I added the CH according to the test results and Pool Math app recommendations, it then said to drain like half the pool water. Right now, I'm guessing with adding chlorine (liquid 8.25%) and MA from what I recall last year because the testing kit is giving me ZERO for FC levels. Thanks, though.

Right...no need to add calcium to a vinyl pool- it isn't necessary.
If you don't have the app for PoolMath on your phone, you can use the web version found at the bottom of this page.

Are you using the FAS-DPD powder test to test your FC and CC?

Maddie :flower:

Don't guess, use PoolMath to figure out exactly how much chlorine to add. Even if your current kit isn't working right, you can still calibrate your chlorine to your pool's size to get the FC you want.

I am using the app. And I have been adding what the app says.

Right...no need to add calcium to a vinyl pool- it isn't necessary.
If you don't have the app for PoolMath on your phone, you can use the web version found at the bottom of this page.

Are you using the FAS-DPD powder test to test your FC and CC?

Maddie :flower:

Yes, I am using the FAS-DPD powder in the kit.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.