Budget swg, or best value for the buck

May 29, 2017
kokomo IN
I'm looking for a low maintenance solution which it seems that SWG is the way to go. I travel for work sometimes gone for a week. The pool gets full sun for roughly 8 hours a day so I am betting keeping FC up will be an expensive problem.

I have concerns for this pool not technically being salt approved. Tough spot here, but really can't do much about this and it might not be a huge deal.

SWG power consumption is also a concern, but I read these use around 200 watts per hour AND only run when the pump is on. So they use the same timer. So if this is true 12 cent per kwh would be less than $5 a month.

The pool season here in Indiana is lucky to be May through September. So 5 months.

Since the pool is just now getting filled up and "started", I'm probably going to use the Hayward tablet chlorinator in my signature for this last month. I hope the CYA doesn't get too high in one month. I'll try to supplement with bleach to not fully use the tablets which I know is a "sin".

With this shorter 5 month season I'm hoping I can get a salt system to last 5 years (before needing to replace the "cell"). The pool came with the filter and pump which I plan to use on a timer for a planned estimate of 6 hours a day. I may get a 2 speed pump, but I think a SWG is a better investment in the short term.

I don't think I need a high roller system, but then again something reliable. The one's I found is something like this which is $830.

https://www.amazon.com/Hayward-AQR9..._rd_wg=6dQGk&refRID=Y2G1ZWG15BZJE58BV41Z&th=1

Any feedback or experience is appreciated. Seems straight forward on installing and it seems that this might be the best upfront option for this situation.

This is a good site for comparing costs.

Compare and Review Saltwater Chlorine Generator Prices and Features It is generated and maintained by CircuPool so keep that in mind.

Be sure to oversize your SWG unit/cell. Pool volume x 2 = the volume rating of the SWG you should buy.

Appreciate it. Circupool definitely looks like the winner there ; )

They are cheaper, but I'm wondering if they actually last 5 years now. I'll look for some reviews for that brand here.

I noticed you are in Minnesota, when do you open and close your pool typically? I figure your climate is similar to mine.

I'm also in MN - lucky to open it in mid-May and hopefully, don't close it until mid-Sept. We have a heater, but it can be really tough for it to keep up when the nights get longer and cooler.

Appreciate it. Circupool definitely looks like the winner there ; )

They are cheaper, but I'm wondering if they actually last 5 years now. I'll look for some reviews for that brand here.

I noticed you are in Minnesota, when do you open and close your pool typically? I figure your climate is similar to mine.

I usually open by early to mid-May. Whenever the water temp approaches 60 degrees with the winter safety cover still on. I close in late September to mid-October. Again, when the water temp is below 60 degrees with the cover off. 60 degrees is the magic number that tells you when to open/close. Open before water is 60 degrees, close after it's below 60.

I'm also in MN - lucky to open it in mid-May and hopefully, don't close it until mid-Sept. We have a heater, but it can be really tough for it to keep up when the nights get longer and cooler.

Yeah I figure that is what I would be doing without a heater.

Do you like your Pentair Intellichlor C40? Any problems? Hard to clean? I'm guessing you clean it twice a year?

Your test kit is from 2006 in the signature, the test kit lasts that long? I've been worried I would run out of the solutions. Haven't bought a good one yet.

- - - Updated - - -

I usually open by early to mid-May. Whenever the water temp approaches 60 degrees with the winter safety cover still on. I close in late September to mid-October. Again, when the water temp is below 60 degrees with the cover off. 60 degrees is the magic number that tells you when to open/close. Open before water is 60 degrees, close after it's below 60.

Sounds good. 60 degrees is quite cold, but I assume you have to get it pumping/chemicals to keep clean.

Do you like your Pentair Intellichlor C40? Any problems? Hard to clean? I'm guessing you clean it twice a year?

With properly managed water chemistry you should never have to clean your SWCG cell.

Take care.

Sounds good. 60 degrees is quite cold, but I assume you have to get it pumping/chemicals to keep clean.

Other people may disagree, but I've not had any issues discontinuing the use of chlorine once to pool gets below 60 (assuming no one is swimming - I put in a few ppm in that case) - even though the pool gets direct sun from sunup to sundown.

Chlorine usage is extremely low once water is below 70 and not being used. Below 60, I then close and cover, elevating to shock level FC. I always have some FC when opening in the spring. 3-4 ppm from closing at 12 I believe this last year.

Sent from mobile device. Beware of brevity and grammar errors!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.