Budget pool options?

Ky1210

Oct 3, 2020
Dallas TX
Hi all,
I am a single mom in Texas with two boys. One of my boys has special needs and one of the best therapies for him is swimming. However, he also has immune issues so a public pool isn’t an option right now. We all are avid swimmers and a pool would make a huge difference in our lives. My question is are there any tips for doing this on a budget? I have saved and have a budget of about $30k all in. I want a 26-30 ft long pool. The quotes I’m getting back on Gunite are around $50-60k, fiberglass around $40k. So now I am looking at semi inground pools that seem to run between $20-30k. That seems expensive to me, so I guess I want to know if the pricing seems accurate? Also anyone had any experience with a Stealt semi inground pool?
Any other ideas for things I should look at? I am very open to suggestions! 🙂
Thank you!

Hi, and welcome to TFP. Fair warning: once you learn more about pool care, and start taking care of your pool with TFP methods, you'll come to realize that public pools aren't an option for anybody, and never have been! Yuck!!

Does your boy have any challenges getting in and out? Can he negotiate a ladder in and out of a pool? Or a stairway up to a deck? Or does he need a straight shot, or reasonably gentle ramp to get to the water?

@kimkats, what do you think? Which way should she go?

Reactions: Ky1210
Be afraid, be very afraid! o_O

Let's see what Kim says, and if she's stumped we can call in some other experts. It's too late on the east coast now, so it'll likely be tomorrow...

I would see if there any vinyl liner in ground pool builders in your area.

When you say "semi inground pool" what do you mean?

Show us your yard so we can see what you are working with. That will really help us see what you are working with!

Kim:kim:

Reactions: Ky1210
I would see if there any vinyl liner in ground pool builders in your area.

When you say "semi inground pool" what do you mean?

Show us your yard so we can see what you are working with. That will really help us see what you are working with!

Hi Kim,
By semi inground I mean pools like or Radiant that are put half way in to the ground and are still half way above ground.
I will post a picture of my yard. It has a little bit of a slope to it, but not terrible.
I haven’t looked much at vinyl inground pools, but that is a good idea.
I have even been researching shipping container pools, and am open to just about anything that might work.
Thank you!

Radiant pools are great pools but you don't get the size you are looking for really. 30' round is not the same as 30' long as you well know.

We will help you find a pool that is just right for you and your kids!

I have a 30 foot round above ground (see my avatar) that is very spacious with a nice deck. Also have a daughter with some special needs and swimming has been a very helpful therapy to her over the years, so I get it.

It was here when I bought the house 8 years ago so don't have anything definitive on cost, but I have to think a decent above ground pool with a good deck would be well under your $30k budget, if you can't find an inground that works.

But, let's see those yard pics.

Doughboy has a new line that’s pretty neat
Not sure of the cost though
It’s called the hydrosphere
I believe They’re also the only doughboy rated for salt use

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.