"Budget" build in Los Angeles

Things i would do differently/wish i've done.

1. I took pictures of everything, all the plumbing/drains etc, but i failed to use a tape measure. There has been a few times i wish i knew exactly where everything was.

2. Larger Baja shelf/area

3. return jet near the "baja" shelf since its only on 6" of water it tends to over power, i wish it was angled toward the skimmer.

4. Separate control for skimmer/drain. Since all we get is small dirt, brushing it toward the drain would be great.

5. Extra drain on pavers, with some of the heavy rain it would be helpful. I may need to do this myself later.

6. Be a little more picky on the tile work, they did a good job over all but the 90degree cut could have been better.
Similar to my wishes. 1st build is tough knowing what you want. I was on a budget too so had to cut some things out. My top wishes are:
1. Salt cell (don't much care about automation other than running the salt cell.)
2. Tile work, mainly the contractor grouting between coping and tile and it all cracking. I used some polyurethane caulking but I shouldn't have had to touch it.
3. 2 skimmers with separate drain/skimmer valves would have been nice.
4. Sheer/waterfall. Never use it. Not necessary.
5. I still don't know what is the proper way they are supposed to seal the top of the skimmer throat. Between the plastic and the underside of the coping. I know it's not grout. I sealed that up with foam backer and polyurethane caulking also. Another thing I should not have had to do.

Budget wise you did really well. Also small yard and what you paid was less than any quoted lowest amount spitballed to us when we asked trying to figure out the absolute cheapest range to put in a pool/spa. And the lowest didn’t include a raised spa or pebble etc…I know people who paid less but only who contracted prepandemic.

As for the dirt fees—that seems like extortion. I didn’t realize how pricey it is to dump dirt. I think we luckily missed the price hikes. Someone I know kept their dirt to reuse during landscaping. For us we had to buy dirt afterwards.

As far as the dirt, the landfill likely needs 'cover'. Each night the 'product' brought in each day must be covered by 1 foot of 'cover'. Funny they can demand you only deliver to them, and then charge you! Classic California.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.