Bucket test for water loss

Bozer4

Jul 11, 2019
Manteca ca
Hello, I've been experiencing CH levels dropping (approx. 40 ppm over 4 weeks) and CYA levels dropping (approx. 10 ppm over 6 weeks). There hasn't been a significant amount of splash out or any heavy rains. I'm afraid I may have a water leak somewhere. I performed a bucket test yesterday (see pics below) and I see a 3/4" drop in pool level and 1/4" drop in the water level inside of the bucket, this test is over a 20 hour period with a 1/2" difference between the 2 levels. I didn't notice a difference in the two levels during the day yesterday. I ran the pump for 8 hours at night and noticed the difference this morning. Is this a significant difference? Pool size is 28'x12' with a 1/2" difference in water levels, I figure this is approximately 100 gallon loss somewhere in a 20 hour period.
Thanks, Brett

Attachments

• bucket test 1.jpg
    bucket test 1.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 27
  • bucket test 2.jpg
    bucket test 2.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 27
Brett,

The bucket needs to be in deeper water.. Otherwise the wind will be blocked from hitting the water at the bottom of the bucket.

Throw in a few bricks and use the next step down..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Okay, I found a shorter bucket (see new pic) and put some rocks in it. Next step down was too deep for a 5 gallon bucket and didn't really want to block it up to make it taller. I'm going to let the pool fill back up to normal level and do a retest with shorter bucket.

Attachments

• shorter bucket test.jpg
    shorter bucket test.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 12
Your CYA drop is not surprising, unless you are using trichlor. How do you chlorinate?

Your CH should be rising depending on fill water.

Chlorinating with liquid chlorine, fill water has a CH reading of 90 ppm.
CH @ 260 ppm on 7-29-19
CH @ 220 ppm on 8-26-19 (added 9 cups Clorox calcium hardness increaser)
CH @ 250 ppm on 8-31-19
CH @ 250 ppm on 9-7-19

CYA @ 35 ppm currently
I keep FC between 5-7 ppm

That's what I'm thinking, going to do another bucket test with a smaller bucket to verify results. It's very windy today, It's probably better to wait for winds to die down before another bucket test.

2nd bucket test also revealed 3/4" drop overnight with pump running 8 hrs. Pool builder sent a guy out to do a pressure test (reluctantly) and found a pressure drop in the return line. He put a 2 part epoxy putty that has the consistency of play-doh that is made for underwater applications on the inside of each return. I did a bucket test with pump on last night and no loss. This seems to have fixed the problem but I'm a little worried about the epoxy lasting over a long period of time, I guess I'll do a bucket test yearly to make sure epoxy putty is holding up.
Thank for all the input, Brett

2nd bucket test also revealed 3/4" drop overnight with pump running 8 hrs. Pool builder sent a guy out to do a pressure test (reluctantly) and found a pressure drop in the return line. He put a 2 part epoxy putty that has the consistency of play-doh that is made for underwater applications on the inside of each return. I did a bucket test with pump on last night and no loss. This seems to have fixed the problem but I'm a little worried about the epoxy lasting over a long period of time, I guess I'll do a bucket test yearly to make sure epoxy putty is holding up.
Thank for all the input, Brett
Did you test for leaks yourself?

Did you see how he identified the issue?

I'm in exactly the same situation you describe. I can't locate the leak so I think bringing someone in is my next step...I have a theory on a dead return jet I'm running down first.

How much were you charged, if you don't mind me asking??

Last edited:
My pool is only 2 months old so it's still covered under warranty. They pressure tested return lines by removing adjustable fish eyes and plugging them off with threaded caps. Next they cut pvc return lines coming off the filter and installed pressure gauge with a hose bib attached, then they attach hose to bib to water supply and pump up to around 35 lbs or so. Last step is you shut off hose bib and disconnect water supply and wait to see if pressure drops, mine dropped immediately.

• Wow
Reactions: Slaru and Mandela

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.