bucket on side of pool - what is it?

td3201

May 2, 2018
Lincoln, NE
I've attached pictures of this bucket on that's on the side of my pool. Pool came with the house so have no clue what it is. The inlet appears to be blocked off but has a very small leak so water trickles in. First year, the bucket just always stayed filled with water and we ignored it. Well, it froze and bucket cracked. Now water is seeping below the bucket. This is concerning. I have no clue what is feeding the supply line. I've turned off pump and it still trickles. Anyone have any ideas?

Attachments

• IMG_2741.jpg
    IMG_2741.jpg
    599.7 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_2742.jpg
    IMG_2742.jpg
    492.8 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_2743.jpg
    IMG_2743.jpg
    649.6 KB · Views: 41
  • InkedIMG_0418_LI.jpg
    InkedIMG_0418_LI.jpg
    849.9 KB · Views: 43
Yes, that is the IMG_2743.jpg I'm guessing. Right next to that bucket in the pool wall is a capped off supply line (I think). The story I was told is it broke under ground years ago, they determined not needed and just capped it.

An autofill? Or at least a way to add water by turning on a spigot (typically near the equipment pad) and run water to that bucket to fill the pool. You should be able to put a plug in the pool side outlet.

The previous pool guy thought it was an autofill too but I can't figure out where the supply is. There's no water supply by the equipment. I thought maybe tied into sprinkler system but that's not the case either. I'd love to stop water from trickling in. The inlet is already capped on the pool side.

Yes, the more I'm looking into this, it is absolutely an auto-fill system. It's been gutted. Just the bucket. They sealed the inlet both to the bucket and the pool. Any pro tips on how to find the source of the water?

The fill line should be plumbed to a shutoff valve somewhere, probably with a backflow preventer. It may be tied into your irrigation system, or an outdoor backyard water source.

It looks like that plug is leaking, based on the photo. Is that the line that leads into the pool? The line may have cracked and frozen over winter, and from the sealant around the plug it looks like it has leaked before. I would remove the plug from the pool side and the bucket side and replace both. If the fittings are cracked and will not seal then the correct fix is to dig it all out and make repairs. Or you can drop the water level below the plug, fill the bucket and pipe with concrete, patch the plaster over the pipe on the pool side and call it a day.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.