Bubbles from Returns

Apr 1, 2014
New Jersey
Moved from here.

Holy smokes I was just about to post a thread with this same exact problem!!!

This morning @ 7:00 AM EST
FC - 6
pH - 7.5
TA - 70
CH - 200
CYA - 0

Now 12:30 PM EST, Im back to SLAMing (thought this cloudiness was still somehow some sort of water issue)
FC - 18
CYA - ? (added a bottle of conditioner around 9:30 AM) Should bring me to about 30

Salt is at 3000 both on the control board as well as tested at the pool store.

This is my fifth season with the pool and I've never seen this before. Is it possible that the cell is starting to go? Last time I took a look was mid last summer. It was clean as a whistle. It is approaching the 5th summer now so perhaps a sign of it going bad? I'm all out of ideas. The picture below is with the water jet removed... you can really see it flow this white bubbleness that way. With the jet in place it is less noticeable than the picture but still an eye sore. If i saw this in someone else's pool I would think that they had a water issue. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
They are hydrogen bubbles. Research of past forum posts show this happens at times during startup of northern pools. Nothing chemically can be shown to cause it.

It will go away soon. No harm.

A commonalty between this and the other thread is the recent addition of cyanuric acid.

Just an observation from the sidelines.
I know. But that is odd. I add CYA to my system and do not see that. If it was all the time, OK. But only when the cell is generating? That makes no sense chemically.

Can't be the add of CYA, I have been seeing this for the last few days. I read somewhere that you can get cloudy water with low CYA and I needed to add anyway as my cell wasn't keeping up with the breakdown from sunlight on is own. Not like that was a mystery considering it was at 0. Figured I would leave it that way till I had finished SLAMing.

Bubble update. They have left (hopefully not to return) The only difference that I can tell is that my FC is back into regular swimming levels ~5 at the moment and now I have ~30 CYA. Other than those two factors I'm no longer running the Pump/SWG 24x7 like I had been during SLAMing. So either its the FC/CYA/some sort of weird effect of running the SWG non stop over several days/ or something totally unrelated that we will never get an answer to.

Happy Swimming and Memorial Day to All.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.