Ferndale, MI
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Ok, our pool opens this coming weekend. This is our 2nd season with the pool. Last year, I was just learning everything, and didn't brush at all (I didn't know I needed to) and now feel more comfortable with things so I figured I should start. How often should I brush? I have a brush, left by the previous owners, but in some old threads I saw a recommendation for the King Fin. is that still a good recommended brush?

I use the wall whale and am really impressed. Ideally, brushing daily would be your best option. It all depends on your schedule I guess. If you are meticulous about your chemicals and follow TFP guidelines, you can be more than safe brushing every other day but once a week may not be enough.

I question the need to brush if you use a robotic pool cleaner, although it looks like you use a Polaris vacuum cleaner. I only brush the areas where my cleaner cannot get very well (steps and waterline) and have zero issues. I run my robot once or twice a week throughout the summer.

I question the need to brush if you use a robotic pool cleaner, although it looks like you use a Polaris vacuum cleaner. I only brush the areas where my cleaner cannot get very well (steps and waterline) and have zero issues. I run my robot once or twice a week throughout the summer.

We used our Polaris a lot. Are you saying it’s not a robotic cleaner??

We used our Polaris a lot. Are you saying it’s not a robotic cleaner??

Yeah the word "robotic" confuses people. There are two types of "automatic" cleaners - Robotic and Vacuum. Vacuum automatic cleaners are the ones that have been around forever that connect to an intake valve and operate by being connected to your pool pump system. The robotic types are new and are connected to power - they run on electricity and can therefore actively scrub your pool surface. They are independent of your pool pump/filtration system.

Seems like it's about 50/50 on TFP as to which type people use/prefer so it's more about personal preference and experience so long as you have a good one of either from what I can tell.

oh, thank you! I didn't realize that. I grew up with a pool too and I don't recall my dad every brushing the pool, hence why I didn't even think about it last year. Was that not a thing in the late 80s/early 90s?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.